Is it Possible to Remove Breast Implants with Local Anesthesia Under $1000?

Breast implant removal for $1000 or less using local anesthesia? I have saline implants done under the muscle, put in through the armpit. Have had them in approximately 14 years. I want removal and no replacement. Thanks for any advice.

Breast Implant Removal?

Yes, it is possible to have breast implants removed under local anesthesia  in some cases. If so, the cost of the procedure can be kept  relatively low.

I would suggest in-person consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons ( avoid “cosmetic surgeons"  who have not been appropriately trained or certified).

Breast implant removal

Breast implants can easily be removed under local anesthesia, provided it is a simple removal with no other work required, such as a lift or capsule removal.  I typically charge about $2500 for the procedure.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Breast implant removal

• Yes, saline implants can be removed with local anesthesia in the office.
  • $1000 for uncomplicated removal is an average cost.
  • Your original surgeon may reduce the price.
  • You will need an incision in the crease or nipple.
  • I suggest you see three Board Certified Plastic Surgeons in your area, get estimates of their fee and decide based on cost and quality of the surgeon.

Best of luck.

Implant Removal

It should not be a problem to get your implants out under local anesthesia if there is nothing else necessary to be done. I personally would only do that through an inframammary incision as axillary and periareolar approaches involve considerably more dissection through the tissues.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Cost to remove breast implants

While cost is an important factor, you should not base your choice of surgeon solely on fees.

The costs of surgery vary greatly across the country. We charge starting about $2300 + MD Anesthesia Related Costs (if necessary) for breast implant removal.

One main advantage that we have is that we own our AAAASF nationally accredited surgery center. This allows us to maintain staff and MD Anesthesiologist relationships, and manage the costs which allows us to provide a safe and comfortable environment.

Consult with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Local anesthesia explantation?

Thank you for your question! Depending on your and your plastic surgeon's comfort level with surgical procedures via local anesthesia, it certainly is a safe procedure and can be done via local only or a little sedation. It is difficult to answer about the appearance of your breasts without a photo or examination. Removal of your implants alone will create a smaller breast with somewhat similar shape. Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon and the possibility for a breast lift, either at the same time or at a later date, if deemed necessary. Many times drains are placed as well as compression garments used postoperatively. Cost varies among surgeons as well as geographic location. Certainly, for simple removal without any capsule work, the procedure can be tolerated with local anesthesia alone.  I typically prefer to remove the capsule.  Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Implant removal under anesthesia

Implants can definitely be removed under local anesthesia.  However quoting the cost without an exam is an assumption that most quality board certified plastic surgeons would not embark upon.  With that said, an exam and quote for a procedure that may take 30-40 minutes will be far less expensive an augmentation.

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Removing breast implants with local anesthesia

It's not commonly requested but I can remove saline-filled breast implants with an existing inframammary crease incision for half of $1000 (for my previous patients). Your situation would require a new inframammary crease incision of 2 cm and would cost somewhat more but still under $1000 for a simple removal. Complicating and more costly situations include silicone gel-filled implants, unknown type or condition implants, shaped/textured surface implants, and any kind of additional capsule work. I should add that this is done in an accredited office-based facility. Any hospital or outpatient surgical facility could run $1000 in facility fee alone. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Boulder Plastic Surgeon