Can my natural teeth be used as dental implants or crowns? (photos)

Can my slightly chipped teeth be straightened with artificial enamel? I enjoy the overall apearance of my natural teeth. The bigger problem that I am having is that it is starting to effect my speech and I find that it has becomes more difficult to talk because I feel my teeth interferring. With the overemphasis of my speaking, I have been becoming more hoarse due to the strain on my voice. Since the age of 8, I have been told that all I need is a retainer. However, I am looking for a quick fix that will immediately improve my natural teeth. I am tired.

Artificial Enamel or an Orthodontic Appliance

You have a great smile with the exception of the central incisor on your left side. The incisor sits too far back towards your soft palate, which could be the reason that your speech is affected. Your incisor should be moved with an orthodontic appliance such as a retainer or an alternative to metal wires and brackets, Invisalign® is an alternative to conventional braces and is less invasive. Invisalign® is a system that uses several sets of clear plastic aligners, much like tooth whitening trays, to gradually move your teeth into position. Depending on your treatment plan, you could have your new smile in as little as 12 months.Having the tooth bonded would create a thick and bulky tooth that may or may not improve your speech. My advice would be to see an orthodontist or a dentist who has orthodontic appliance training. He or she will be able to determine what type of oral appliance would be best for your needs. Best of luck with your cosmetic dentistry treatments and please post your after picture!

Redondo Beach Dentist

Use simple orthodontic therapy

Your upper Left Central incisor is positioned too far toward the palate.  This would definitely affect the phonetics of your speech.  This tooth should be moved orthodontically into its proper position and the speech should improve.  You may want to contact a speech therapist to help if you need assistance in training your tongue to help make certain sounds in you continue to have any difficulty.

Orthodontics can also address the lower crowding.  I hope this has been helpful.

Douglas Jopling, DDS
Dallas, TX area

Best Way to Fix a Single Tooth Misaligned

You do have a very nice smile/bite; except for the one front tooth that is tipped back. If all you care about is this one tooth then you could fix it easily with a simple, removable appliance that would only move that one single tooth. The process would require that you wear the appliance (looks like a typical orthodontic retainer) at least 12-17 hrs./day for three to six months. 

Good luck!