Is Juvederm XC the same as Juvederm Volbella?

What is better for fading lips? My lips are losing volume as I am 62 years old. I had juvederm xc last year for above my top lip and it lasted still. I would like the longest filler.

Assessment is important

Juvederm Volbella XC can be used for a subtle lip augmentation however assessment Is key. The provider who will be determining what product to use should analyze lip anatomy paying special attention to border and presence of perioral rhytids (vertical lip lines). Typically Juvederm Ultra XC or even Juvederm Ultra Plus XC can provide natural and beautiful results however now that Juvederm Volbella is FDA approved, you may need this product to address the lips as well as the vertical lip lines discussed. Please keep in mind the Juvederm Volbella XC is extremely technique dependent and it is very important to find a provider who is a top 1% provider in your region. In my practice we have been among the top 1% provider in the country for over a decade.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm Products

Thank you for your question. The ideal product for your needs is best determined during a consultation. With a provider that is skilled with lip fillers, both products can create optimal results that look natural. Volbella's thinner formulation is effective for more precise shaping of the lips and treatment of fine lines around the mouth. If you are looking to add considerably more volume, your provider may recommend Juvederm XC. 

Volbella is reported to last longer than other thin hyaluronic acid fillers on the market as it uses the Vycross patented technology - same as in Voluma.

Jennifer Levine, MD

Volbella for Lip Lines

In my opinion, Volbella is ideal for correcting lip lines which are often referred to as smokers lines.  Volbella comes in smaller syringes (0.6cc) which make it less ideal for volume correction.  I would suggest Juvederm for lip plumping/augmentation and Volbella for lip lines

John Burns, MD

Juvederm

Thank you for your question. Fillers and surgical enhancements can address rejuvenation of the lips. Often, rejuvenation of the lip can be performed in conjunction with other procedures such as facelift, eyelid blepharoplasty, and skin rejuvenation. Kybella is not an option for the lips as it is only FDA approved for underneath the chin. I suggest that you move forward and consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvéderm XC vs. Volbella for Fading Lips

Thank you for your question in regards to these Juvéderm products. Juvéderm and Juvéderm Volbella are both hyaluronic acids, but they have different properties. For fading lips that also need volume, a combination of the two may be the most desirable. Juvéderm Ultra XC lasts up to 1 year, and so does Volbella with optimal treatment. Juvéderm Ultra XC gives more plumpness when you need to add volume to the body of the lip, and Volbella is perfect for the fine lines, to add some definition that has faded, and for more conservative filling. We often combine the two, with Volbella providing framework and fine line correction (we call it the "magic eraser") and XC for the actual meat of the lip to add plumpness, according to our client's preference. Lips are very subjective and we use several different products to create the specific look you would like to achieve. Both products are FDA approved to last 1 year with optimal treatment. To find out what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Juvederm Volbella Is Best For Lips

Juvederm Voluma XC is ideal to replace lost volume in the mid-face, as the filler is quite viscous. Juvderm Volbella is more appropriate to add volume to the lips or fill in lip lines around the mouth, as it is a thinner formulation that will make the lips look and feel natural. Volbella lasts about 12 months. The final decision on which hyaluronic acid filler to use will be made when your board-certified dermatologist evaluates your anatomy and discusses your desires in an initial consultation.

Douglas Wu, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Differences in Juvederm?

Juvederm XC refers to any of the Juvederm products, Ultra, Ultra plus, Voluma, or Volbella, that have lidocaine in them for numbing the area. Juvederm Ultra and Volbella are both great for the lips but they have different characteristics. The Ultra is great when lift or projection is needed. For example if the white roll around the edge of the lip has flattened, or the ridges of the cupid's bow need enhancement. Or for significan lip augmentation. 

Volbella is great for softening fine lines around the lips or face, or small lip augmention.

Brian Maloney, MD, FACS
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Volbella

Volbella is smaller, swells less, and definitely best for the lines above the lip- it is more natural- I love it.  I use it combined with Juvederm for patients that want more fullness in the lip & to treat the upper lip lines.  Volbella is also beautiful to augment the lip in an elegant way- it is more subtle than Juvederm.  Volbella will last up to a year, Juvederm is 6-9 months- so Volbella will last longer.

Melanie L. Petro, MD
Birmingham Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm XC refers to any of the Juvederm products containing...

lidocaine, which is 4%.  This is very helpful in providing a comfortable experience for the patient.  Volbella or Juvederm Volbella XC (they are the same product) is hyaluronic acid that is used to define the lips rather than augment.  The Juvederm Ultra XC product is more for augmentation as it attract more water after injection than does Volbella.   Volbella lasts up to a year...which is much longer than the Ultra or Ultra Plus when injected in the lips.

Wonderful product and since it as been approved (two weeks ago) our office has been injecting this every day up to 5 x/day.  It is phenomenal!

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm Vobella vs Juvederm Ultra/Ultra Plus for lip volume

Juvederm Volbella XC can be used for a subtle lip augmentation and is FDA approved for vertical lip lines and other fine lines of the lip. It is a subtle volumizer but Juvederm Ultra/UltraPlus XC can provide natural and outstanding results to volumize the lips especially for people who have lost volume secondary to age. I would recommend seeing a board certified facial plastic surgeon or board certified dermatologist in your area who is specifically trained and certified in Vobella. I hope this helps!

Lesley Rabach, MD