Is this normal bruising after Volbella ? (photos)

I had Volbella injected into my lips 3 days ago now. I don't see a huge difference in the volume (.6CC was injected), but I have 3 very noticeable and dark bruises. Are these normal? How long will they take to go away?

Bruising after Volbella

Your bruising should subside over the next week. Volbella gives more of a subtle, hydrated, youthful appearance to the lips. The idea with Volbella is not necesarily for maximum volume. The good news is that you can add additional Volbella if you don't feel you had enough result with the first syringe. 

Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Bruising after Injection

You wont notice a huge difference. The syringe of Volbella is .6 cc - basically half of the volume with Juvederm Ultra. The amount of change is related to volume. You could have another syringe of Volbella placed in the lip.When a patient bruises in several areas, it is often due to having taken aspirin, advil or motrin, vitamin E, or fish oil within two weeks of the treatment. Things to speed up resolution of the bruise, include arnika, drink plenty of water, and applying warm compresses to the area.

Brian Maloney, MD, FACS
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bruising after Volbella injection

Juvederm Volbella is an elegant, delicate filler with indication for perioral rhytids (lip lines) and lip volume. When injected correctly, Volbella gives beautiful results. Volbella smooths lip lines above and in the body of the lip, achieving a more hydrated appearance with subtle volume. But for the patient seeking to achieve significantly increased volume, another filler may be more effective in achieving a more voluminous lip.

Bruising after having your lips injected is common and may last anywhere from 3-10 days, depending on the person.

Deborah Sherman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Bruising from Volbella Lip Injections

Volbella is a great product for the fine lines around the mouth. It is normal to have some bruising or swelling from injections, especially in the vascular lip area.  Arnica and ice should help.  Best, Dr. Green

Post-injection Bruising

Thank you for your question. Due to its thin formulation, Volbella is an ideal product for shaping the lips as well as adding some volume. For more voluminous lips, you may need another filler. It is important to find a provider who is highly experienced in lip fillers in order to get the optimal results.

The bruising is common after any injection, especially on thin surfaces such as your lips. It typically subsides within 10 days. 

Jennifer Levine, MD

Is this normal bruising after Volbella ?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Due to the thin tissues of the upper and lower lip any injections pose the risk of bruising.  Yours are not uncommon for the amount injected and you should see them disappear within a week to 10 days.  Hope this helps.

Bruising After Volbella

Dear jmae156:

Bruising after Volbella injections into the lips are not uncommon.  The bruising normally subsides within a week.  Best wishes.

Swelling/Bruising/Lumpiness (early) from Fillers

I always tell my patients to not love their filler injections for 2 weeks. Swelling is very common and sometimes immediate. It can last 3-7 days and a good idea is to use cold compresses. Cold compresses may be used immediately after treatment to reduce swelling only if needed. This may be applied for 3 minutes, 3 times per day, for up to 3 days. This is best done with a bag of peas in a zip lock bag. Only apply light pressure to the area but gentle massage might be necessary if the bump is from the filler material itself. Get Arnica gel if you can find some and apply a few times a day as well to help treat any swelling. Avoid any blood thinners. Bruising can also last 1-2 weeks. I don't recommend hyaluronidase this early and wait a few weeks until the swelling has resolved. If it is persistent or you are worried, set up a follow up appointment with your dermatologist.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Bruising and swelling common after Volbella

Volbella,( Juvederm), Restylane, and other HA fillers injected into certain areas like the lips inevitable will cause swelling, and possibly bruising. I tell all my patients that it may take up to 10 days for thing to 'settle in' so hang tight for the final result. 

All the best

Dr Davin Lim
Laser and aesthetic dermatologist
BRISBANE, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Lip Swelling/Bruising After Fillers Such as Juvederm or Restylane -- Reverse With Hyaluronidase

Wait two weeks to see the results and let the swelling and bruising go down, if you are unhappy then you can have it reversed.  Best, Dr. Emer.