Is this normal bruising after Volbella ? (photos)

I had Volbella injected into my lips 3 days ago now. I don't see a huge difference in the volume (.6CC was injected), but I have 3 very noticeable and dark bruises. Are these normal? How long will they take to go away?

Post-injection Bruising

Thank you for your question. Due to its thin formulation, Volbella is an ideal product for shaping the lips as well as adding some volume. For more voluminous lips, you may need another filler. It is important to find a provider who is highly experienced in lip fillers in order to get the optimal results.

The bruising is common after any injection, especially on thin surfaces such as your lips. It typically subsides within 10 days. 

Is this normal bruising after Volbella ?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Due to the thin tissues of the upper and lower lip any injections pose the risk of bruising.  Yours are not uncommon for the amount injected and you should see them disappear within a week to 10 days.  Hope this helps.

Bruising After Volbella

Dear jmae156:

Bruising after Volbella injections into the lips are not uncommon.  The bruising normally subsides within a week.  Best wishes.

Swelling/Bruising/Lumpiness (early) from Fillers

I always tell my patients to not love their filler injections for 2 weeks. Swelling is very common and sometimes immediate. It can last 3-7 days and a good idea is to use cold compresses. Cold compresses may be used immediately after treatment to reduce swelling only if needed. This may be applied for 3 minutes, 3 times per day, for up to 3 days. This is best done with a bag of peas in a zip lock bag. Only apply light pressure to the area but gentle massage might be necessary if the bump is from the filler material itself. Get Arnica gel if you can find some and apply a few times a day as well to help treat any swelling. Avoid any blood thinners. Bruising can also last 1-2 weeks. I don't recommend hyaluronidase this early and wait a few weeks until the swelling has resolved. If it is persistent or you are worried, set up a follow up appointment with your dermatologist.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Bruising and swelling common after Volbella

Volbella,( Juvederm), Restylane, and other HA fillers injected into certain areas like the lips inevitable will cause swelling, and possibly bruising. I tell all my patients that it may take up to 10 days for thing to 'settle in' so hang tight for the final result. 

All the best

Dr Davin Lim
Laser and aesthetic dermatologist
BRISBANE, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Lip Swelling/Bruising After Fillers Such as Juvederm or Restylane -- Reverse With Hyaluronidase

Wait two weeks to see the results and let the swelling and bruising go down, if you are unhappy then you can have it reversed.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Bruising After Lip Filler (Vobella)

Thank you sharing your photo.  It is always possible to have bruising after lip filler with any hyaluronic acid agent such as #Vobella.  The bruises may last 4 to 14 days on average.  In cases with large bruises, the remnants of the bruise may last as long as 3 to 4 weeks.  Some suggestions to minimize bruising is to avoid alcohol, anti inflammatory medications, and Vitamin E tablets for 3 to 7 days before your injections.  Immediately following injection, ice the area and avoid strenuous exercise for 2 to 3 days.  Best of luck,Suneel Chilukuri, M.D.Houston, TX#filler, #lips, #Juvederm, #Voluma, #Volift, #Restylane, #Belotero, #Allergan, #Galderma, #Merz, #Houston, #RefreshDermatology

Suneel Chilukuri, MD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon