Is this normal bruising after Volbella ? (photos)

I had Volbella injected into my lips 3 days ago now. I don't see a huge difference in the volume (.6CC was injected), but I have 3 very noticeable and dark bruises. Are these normal? How long will they take to go away?

Bruising after Volbella

Your bruising should subside over the next week. Volbella gives more of a subtle, hydrated, youthful appearance to the lips. The idea with Volbella is not necesarily for maximum volume. The good news is that you can add additional Volbella if you don't feel you had enough result with the first syringe. 

Bruising after Volbella

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Bruising after Volbella injection

Juvederm Volbella is an elegant, delicate filler with indication for perioral rhytids (lip lines) and lip volume. When injected correctly, Volbella gives beautiful results. Volbella smooths lip lines above and in the body of the lip, achieving a more hydrated appearance with subtle volume. But for the patient seeking to achieve significantly increased volume, another filler may be more effective in achieving a more voluminous lip.

Bruising after having your lips injected is common and may last anywhere from 3-10 days, depending on the person.

Deborah Sherman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Bruising after Volbella injection

Deborah Sherman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Bruise after Volbella

Thank you for your question jmae156. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Volbella is a hyaluronic acid filler designed to enhance the lips. With any injection bruising is possible. Bruising typically lasts 1-2 weeks and resolves on its own. In our office we treat our patients with a laser as early as the next day. This usually makes the bruise resolve in 1-2 days.

Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Bruise after Volbella

Bruising after Volbella

Thank you for your question and for submitting photos.  The lips are a very delicate and sensitive area, and it's not uncommon to experience some swelling and bruising after lip filler injections.  The swelling and bruising should resolve fully within 1-2 weeks.

Volbella is a wonderful product for fine lines, hydration, and adding subtle volume to the lips.  I would wait 2 weeks to assess your final response to your treatment.  If at that time you'd like to add more dramatic volume to your lips, I'd recommend you consider a different product - Juvederm or Restylane may be a better choice.  Best of luck!

Faiyaaz Kalimullah, MD, FAAD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

Bruising after Volbella

Faiyaaz Kalimullah, MD, FAAD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

Bruising After Vobella in Ottawa

Thank you for your question. Bruising after a lip enhancement is quite common, and depends on a number of factors.  Most patients will have a resolution of their bruising within 1-2 weeks. In regards to the volume, 0.6cc is a modest amount, and given Vobella was injected you may not see a major difference. For more volume, I would suggested either additional Vobella or a different filler such as Juvederm Ultra. All the best. 

Bruising After Vobella in Ottawa

Bruising after lip injection is common

Bruising is a common side effect after lip injections, and it will subside. You can minimize bruising by not consuming certain ingredients that cause bruising such as green tea, ginger, and over-the-counter supplements like Omega‑3 pills. For more volume, try a different filler next time. 

Bruising after lip injection is common

Bruising after Injection

You wont notice a huge difference. The syringe of Volbella is .6 cc - basically half of the volume with Juvederm Ultra. The amount of change is related to volume. You could have another syringe of Volbella placed in the lip.When a patient bruises in several areas, it is often due to having taken aspirin, advil or motrin, vitamin E, or fish oil within two weeks of the treatment. Things to speed up resolution of the bruise, include arnika, drink plenty of water, and applying warm compresses to the area.

Bruising after Injection

Bruising from Volbella Lip Injections

Volbella is a great product for the fine lines around the mouth. It is normal to have some bruising or swelling from injections, especially in the vascular lip area.  Arnica and ice should help.  Best, Dr. Green

Bruising from Volbella Lip Injections

Post-injection Bruising

Thank you for your question. Due to its thin formulation, Volbella is an ideal product for shaping the lips as well as adding some volume. For more voluminous lips, you may need another filler. It is important to find a provider who is highly experienced in lip fillers in order to get the optimal results.

The bruising is common after any injection, especially on thin surfaces such as your lips. It typically subsides within 10 days. 

Post-injection Bruising

Is this normal bruising after Volbella ?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Due to the thin tissues of the upper and lower lip any injections pose the risk of bruising.  Yours are not uncommon for the amount injected and you should see them disappear within a week to 10 days.  Hope this helps.