Botox injections to decrease shoulder muscle/create a more feminine neckline? (photos)

Hi, I read online about a procedure available in Korea that involves injecting Botox into the trapezius muscles to shrink them, which creates a more slender looking neck and also relieves chronic neck/shoulder pain. I suffer from an extremely short neck and will do anything to make it seem longer, I also suffer from pain. PROBLEM: I can't seem to find an American doctor to do this. Where should I look? I'm desperate! 

To find doctors in your local area, please click here.

Botox for trapezius reduction

The reason why you see this in places like Korea but not in US is because we have medical liability and we will be sued as this is not an established treatment and will likely lead to shoulder and upper arm or back weakness and then you will want to sue the doctor for malpractice because he should have known better. No such problems for doctors in korea, Philippines or other countries where doctors can experiment on people without an approved IRB.

Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon

Creating a Feminine Neckline

Botox to this muscle would help it relax, but wouldn't necessarily decrease its size. In my practice we do a combination of VASER and ThermiRF, sometimes even adding ultherapy and fraxel in order to rejuvenate the neck area, which would help its appearance.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Neck muscle botox

I would avoid this as it is very much out of the remit of researched and safe injection zones. Botox can be used for larger muscle groups but for conditions such as cerebral palsy and increased muscle tone after strokes by neurology specialists. 

Shoulder Muscles

I personally believe it would require too much Neurotoxin to effectively reduce a muscle like the Trapezius.  Besides enormous expense every few months the amount of material required could potentially lead to a toxic level in the blood stream so I think other alternatives to give the appearance of a longer neck should be considered.

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon