Myasthenia gravis - would it be okay for me to get Botox on my forehead?

Hi I had myashensia gravis in the past and I did the surgery to remove the glances and I'm okay . Would it be okay for me to get Botox on my forehead

Myastenia Gravis and Botox

Myastenia Gravis is a neurological condition that effects the strength of muscles.  Botox weakens muscles.  The combination of weakness of Botox and Myastenia Gravis can create an over-exaggerated and prolonged result.  For this reason, it is not recommended to inject Botox in patients with Myastenia Gravis.

I hope this helps.  

Botox and Myasthenia Gravis

Dear Iwantbubblebutt:

Unfortunately, Botox injections are contraindicated in Myasthenia gravis.  I recommend seeing an expert cosmetic physician who can discuss alternate treatment options in softening your forehead lines.  Best wishes.

I have Myasthenia Gravis is Botox okay?

Good Day lwantbubblebutt,

Thank you for your question. At our center patients with this neurological condition, no matter what state of stability would not be administered Botox. This would not be recommended. There are safer means to address the wrinkles on your forehead. 

Paul Pietro, MD
Greenville Physician

Botox Spreads Further Than Previously Thought

A recent study has shown that Botox can spread along nerves to places distant from the injection site. Given this as well as the fact that both botulinum toxin and myasthenia gravis weaken muscles by disrupting the communication between nerves and muscles, it would be unwise to use any form of botulinum toxin. 

Daniel Lensink, MD
Redding Oculoplastic Surgeon

Myasthenia Gravis and Botox

It is not recommended to get Botox with this type of neurologic disease. You might have a prolonged or exaggerated result from the treatment.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Botox and myasthenia gravis

Despite the fact that you are apparently in remission I suggest you not get Botox as it may reactivate your problem

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Myasthenia Gravis and Botox

Based on your history, in my practice you would be excluded from consideration for Botox treatment.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and MS

Whenever there is a neurological condition it must be cleared by your neurologist before having a cosmetic procedure like Botox.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green