Will lip augmentation help the sides of mouth to not look downward and to make them look fuller? (Photos)

I have very thin lips and the sides of my mouth go downward. Will lip augmentation help my lips to look fuller and will it take away the downward look on the sides of my mouth?

Lip Enhancment and jowls

Lip fillers will definitely enhance your lips and Restylane Lyft at the corners of the mouth combined with Voluma can add volume and lift the sides up.  You may want to consider treatment of the jowls as well with Thermage.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Downward lipo turn

Filler will add volume to your lips, it will not turn them up to any extent.  A face lift may help. Best of luck.

Will lip augmentation help the sides of mouth to not look downward and to make them look fuller?

Hi, I have performed many lip augmentation procedures using dermal fillers or lip implants for over 30 years. From the photos, your lips are a bit small. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, the upper lip should be approximately 75 % the size of the lower lip for the lips to appear balanced. The lips can be augmented using a dermal filler or a Permalip implant.

Dermal filers and lip implants offer far more reliable volume to augment the lips than permanent fillers or fat injections that are also associated with increased, unwanted, side effects.

The downturned corners at the outsides of the mouth are called "marionette lines" and are a result of "jowls" as discussed below.  In addition, the cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front), there is excess fat below and in front of the cheeks and the chin is weak.  These factors combine to create an elongated, oval-shaped face. 

I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.  Liposuction to reduce the excess fat would further shape the cheeks.

When the chin is weak, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.   I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective.

If you have "jowls” these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions and no incisions extend or are placed within the hair.
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery ( several days instead of weeks or months with the more invasive type facelifts mentioned)
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op

I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

Hope this helps.

Fuller with fillers, Botox, radiofrequency and ultrasound for mouth corners

These fillers, (Restylane, Juvederm) are good to create a symmetrical and full lip. Implants or fat are alternative options. A combination of fillers and Botox can be used to lift the mouth corners in combination with ultherapy and radiofrequency treatments which can provide skin tightening and lift as well. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Lip augmentation to support the corners of the mouth

Thank you for asking about your thin lips and downward mouth.

• There are 3 things that may help =
  • Lip filler to enlarge and support the lips
  • Permanent lip implants which can do the same thing
  • Or Botox to the lower corners of the mouth or the DAO muscle.
  • If it is only the corners of the mouth, start with Botox - if it works, it is cheaper.
  • Please see a plastic surgeon - although dermatologists can do filler and Botox, generally only plastic surgeons do lip implants and you want the opinion of someone familiar with all 3 options.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Lip Augmentation

It appears from your photos that you would be a good candidate for lip augmentation. Fillers like Juvederm Ultra plus in the lips and corners of your mouth will augment the lips and raise the corners of your mouth.  Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Will Lip Augmentation Help The Sides Of Mouth To Not Look Downward And To Make Them Look Fuller?

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  Sorry that you are having some concerns about your facial appearance.  Based on your photos, I would recommend the use of fillers such as Juvederm and Voluma to address your concerns.  Beautiful and natural results can be achieved.  Please be sure to see an expert injector for an in-person consultation to fully discuss your concerns and your goals and expectations in order to determine the best treatment plan.  Hope this helps and best wishes! 

Corners of Mouth

Lip augmentation will not bring up the corners of your mouth and may, in some cases, make it look even worse. Bringing up the corners of really downturned mouth corners requires a direct approach to them with a corner of the mouth lift.

Lips downward turn

When you ask a question about your lips you need to address the entire face. The face  needs to be addressed as unit. Sometimes  fixing the chin area is important to help the lips. Other times, lack of volume in the cheeks create deep marionette lines that give the appearance of the downturned lip. Sometimes doing Botox on the muscles that pull on the corners of the lips help.Of course, we would not forget to treat the lips themselves.

Hope this helps.

Cynthia Stolovitz, MD
Montreal Physician

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  If not interested in a surgical solution I would advise you to pursue dermal filler placement into your cheek, jawline, and smile lines to achieve an improvement in the corners of your mouth.  Their current downward appearance is due more to cheek and skin sagging than loss of volume in your lips.  Hope this helps.