Tired of having a tired forehead. Please let me have advise on relaxing my forehead muscles?

Botox worked for 2 years (with approx. 6 months intervals). Then it stopped working. Over a period of 3 years, I've been to 4 different doctors for botox with double the amount of units. 2 of them tried Dyssport. No results. My forehead muscles feels constantly contracted, resulting in a headache at the end of the day. Please let me have advise, since I'm desperate not to have a tired forehead anymore. Apparently type B is unavailable to South Africa?

While every patient is unique and thus your challenge may be different than any other situation, you have several options. First, I would make sure you are seeing a legitimate plastic surgeon. You would hate to think that the doctors you are seeing are diluting the doses. Second, Consider increasing the doses you are being treated with in a safe manner and a very measured and thoughtful way. Third, if the results are the same consider seeing a neurologist and having an EMG study done to look more closely into your unique situation.

Forehead Winkles

If Botox has stopped working I would consider Xeomin injections.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience with these injections to determine the proper dosing for you.  Best, Dr. Green

Botox for forehead lines

Neuromodulator such as Botox, Dysport and Xeomin are great treatment options for forehead wrinkles. I think we need more information on your case to offer good advice. It would be helpful to know how many units of Botox were injected into the forehead and to see photos of your forehead at rest and with animation (eyebrow raise). Most cases of inadequate Botox results that I see are due to poor injector technique and inadequate dosing. True resistance to Botox in rare.

Resistance to Botox

Thank you for your question nicolenestrydom. Botox is a great treatment to improve wrinkles associated with facial expression such as those on the forehead. In a very small percentage of people resistance develops. In these cases, other neuromodulators such as Dysport and Xeomin can be tried. Currently Botox, Dysport, and Xeomin are available in the United States, but in other countries more neuromodulators may be available. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician