Can I breast feed with a ruptured silicone implant?

My left breast implant has ruptured and I am breastfeeding my 3 months-old baby. Is it safe to keep breastfeeding and for how long can I do it? I'm afraid it's dangerous to keep the ruptured implant for several more months in my body. When replacing the ruptured implant, should I wait 3-6 months after stopping breastfeeding or can I have surgery right away?

Breast Implant Revision/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

I specialize in breast implant revision surgery and restorative breast surgery.  I personally would not recommend that you continue to breast feed with a ruptured silicone implant.  You can have a revision surgery 6 months after you stop breast feeding.  This will allow your body adequate time to heal and recover as well as let you get back to your pre-baby weight.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

There is no data to support that the silicone will make it's way into the milk that you are breast feeding. So really it is just up to you as to how comfortable you feel with the science and whether you want to continue to do so or wait for surgical correction. 

Richard J. Brown, MD

Breast Feeding and Breast Implants

I can assure you that ruptured or not, you may safely breast feed. Very good data from over 15 years ago showed no difference in tissue levels of silicone between those with rupture, unruptured, or no implant. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

I would personally recommend that you NOT continue breast-feeding with a ruptured silicone breast implant in place.  Best to undergo the revisionary breast surgery once you are no longer lactating (3 to 6 months after you stop). Best wishes.