Pap Smear Test/Exam Post Tummy Tuck - How Soon After?

I’m at about 3 weeks post op and my doctor told me to wait another month to get the test done (I’m due for one). I’m following his advice but I just wanted to get other Doctors’ opinions on how soon after a tummy tuck is it okay to get a pap smear test/exam done since at some point of the exam requires the OB/GYN to press down hard on the stomach and pelvic area. Thank you.

Pap smear after tummy tuck

Just a Pap smear does not require pressure on your abdomen, but a full pelvic exam does. You should check with your Ob/gyn;  if just a Pap smear is needed, you're OK sooner than if you need a full pelvic  exam. Check with both doctors to see what they recommend.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Pap smear following Tummy Tuck Surgery

I would agree with your surgeon and wait about 6 to 8 weeks after a tummy tuck before having a pap smear.  If your OB/GYN feels that the test should be done urgently, check with your plastic surgeon to see if they feel it would be alright to do the test sooner.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Usually in our practice we like to tell our patients to wait at least 6 weeks before going back to normal activity. The exam could hurt you; listen to your Doctor.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS (in memoriam)

Pap Smear Post Op

Without knowing the location of your incision or all the details of your procedure, my initial response would be to state that the pap smear would likely not cause any problems with healing. However, it is really only your plastic surgeon that can provide the most honorable answer as to the possibility of a pap smear affecting the surgical area during healing. Best wishes!

Pap smear after tummy tuck

You are likely okay with a Pap smear but not with a pelvic exam. Check with your OB/GYN and your plastic surgeon. Each surgeons protocol after surgery is slightly different