Firm lump in lip after Volbella. Is there anything I should be doing to help it? (Photo)
Doctor Answers 6
Lump in lip after Volbella
Wait, then hylase if no better by 10 days
Dr Davin Lim
Laser and Aesthetic Dermatologist
Swelling/Bruising/Lumpiness (early) from Fillers
I always tell my patients to not love their filler injections for 2 weeks. Swelling is very common and sometimes immediate. It can last 3-7 days and a good idea is to use cold compresses. Cold compresses may be used immediately after treatment to reduce swelling only if needed. This may be applied for 3 minutes, 3 times per day, for up to 3 days. This is best done with a bag of peas in a zip lock bag. Only apply light pressure to the area but gentle massage might be necessary if the bump is from the filler material itself. Get Arnica gel if you can find some and apply a few times a day as well to help treat any swelling. Avoid any blood thinners. Bruising can also last 1-2 weeks. I don't recommend hyaluronidase this early and wait a few weeks until the swelling has resolved. If it is persistent or you are worried, set up a follow up appointment with your dermatologist.
You might also like...
Lump after Volbella
Lip filler bumps is fairly common after filler. The bumps can occur early on and many settle down. Although massage after filler is considered a mainstay, beware that massage can drive the filler into another location if done too early.
Reasons for bumps after filler:
- Technique- Filler may have been used too superficially or wrong type of filler
- Mouth movements- In some patients their movements can promote the accumulation of bumps and an alternative technique can be advocated.
Treating lip filler bumps:
- Observation +/- massage- Should be done for almost all lip filler bumps for 2 weeks. For our patients we usually advocated massage after 48-72 hours to let the filler settle into place.
- Reversal- A reversal agent can be used such as Vitrase to dissolve the filler if there is a large obvious persistent bump
- Additional filler- An expert filler injector can used improved technique to mask the lip bumps.
The application of lip filler is very technical and should be done by an expert injector.
Lump after Volbella
Thank you for your question kate2811. I understand your concern. Volbella is a hyaluronic acid filler designed to enhance the lips. Lumps are normal and usually settle on their own after 2 weeks. Patience is important.
Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!
Lump after Volbella Injection
Looking at your photo, you need not worry. Best advice is not to massage the lump yourself and see your physician 2 weeks after injection for further assessment and management which ranges from physician massaging of lump to dissolving it with hyaluronidase. Best wishes.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.