How long after my tummy tuck can I start wearing my steel boned corset? (Photo)

I had smart lipo which left me disappointed with the results. I the hourglass silhouette. I don't wear the latex cinchers that the Kardashians promote rather an authentic handmade corset. I'm having a full tummy tuck, lipo, and a bbl in November. I'd like to know when I can resume wearing my corset. The corset is handmade, durable coutil (corset) fabric, 24 flat and spiral steel bones designed, with a high back, cut not to rest on my hips or butt after surgery. Similar to the one in the picture.

Wearing a corset after a tummy tuck

The best person to advice you will be you chosen surgeon as every surgeon will have his/her own preferences as to recovery for specific procedures. after a tummy tuck is usually retty straight forward.  There is a process of swelling and bruising that peaks at 3 days after surgery and then undergoes the first stage of major resolution in the first 2 weeks after surgery.  The lateer phase of healing takes place over the 2-3 months after surgery where everything really settles and softens.  We typically have our patients wear compression garments to help the skin and underlying tissues re-adhere as well as reduce swelling. You could start wearing the corset after the first stage o healing and wearing compression garments which is around 4 weeks. Always follow your surgeons instructions. Tummy tuck is a very powerful technique in the right hands, and can have dramatic results if done correctly.  You definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety.  Don’t settle for less than a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure.

Wearing a corset after tummy tuck

An abdominal binder is used after a tummy tuck to protect any muscle work and to limit soft tissue swelling.  Elastic garments that are adjustable are preferred for comfort and to avoid an undue amount of pressure that could compromise blood supply.  My concern with the custom steel ribbed garment you have is that your post-op shape is not going to resemble the shape you had when the garment was custom made.  I suggest a more routine garment until you are healed (4-6 weeks depending on swelling) and then getting refitted if you still wan to wear something like this.

Coset after TT and BBL

realistically probably 4 weeks after surgery assuming all goes well. This is very much surgeon dependent.

You can start wearing that only after you have healed significantly from your tummy tuck.  Likely 4 weeks later.  You will have to let your surgeon know beforehand and see if he is fine with it.  Best wishes, Dr. T

How long after my tummy tuck can I start wearing my steel boned corset?

Thank you for your question, Compression garments in general are favored; they don't necessarily have to have steel in them to make them work however best to discuss the optimal time with your surgeon. 

Corset after surgery

We often have our patients wear a compression garment after surgery (known as a faja).  The ones we use don't have steel bones in them, however.  There could be some concern about how much pressure is placed on the skin afterwards.   Compression garments in general are favored; they don't necessarily have to have steel in them to make them work.  It is best to discuss the optimal time with your surgeon. 

Roxanne Sylora, MD

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz