What makes implants (orbital rim/malar) better than fillers for correcting hollows/orbital rim deficiency? (photo)

How do the results compare?

Malar Implants

Although fillers are alternative to implants, they are temporary and repeated injections are needed. They are obviously promoted by those who do not perform implants and are not facial plastic surgeons. Malar implants are the most obvious choice in patients who have hypoplasia of facial bones and are looking for a more permanent solution. 

Fillers versus implants for orbital rim and malar volume

In general, if you have a significant deficiency of bone in your cheeks or orbital rim, it's best to treat it with implants.  This replaces bone with material that better mimics the bone (it's relatively hard, and placed onto the bone).  Fillers are (obviously) soft, and add to the soft tissue volume.  This better mimics a situation where the soft tissue is the culprit, not the bone.  Does this make sense?

Douglas J. Mackenzie, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

What makes implants (orbital rim/malar) better than fillers for correcting hollows/orbital rim deficiency? (photo

from one picture, you look young with beautiful eyes. You are not hollow, you are thin with dark circles which neither fillers nor an implant will improve.  

Filling the area in will change your look considerably, not necessarily for the better,  and in someone thin the problem is visibility of the implant or filler and what it looks like at the edge of the implant.

Just BTW,  HA fillers like restylane uner the eyes last 2-4 years.   YOu can dissolve  them if you don't like the look

Val Lambros, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Cheek implants vs fillers for tear troughs (hollows)

Both implants and fillers are useful to treat the lower eyelid hollows (aka tear troughs).  I usually recommend using fillers first to any interested patient, simply because it is quick, without recovery time, and temporary if patients don't like the end result.  If they like it, and want more, that's when I recommend the implants.  I personally prefer implants simply because the results are much more predictable, long-lasting, and are more "robust" than the fillers.  Plus, the implants still can be removed if there is a problem or a patient changes his/her mind.  Not all surgeons are comfortable with fillers, and the most common mistake is to overfill, so ask your surgeon if they have experience injecting that area- it can be tricky and unforgiving, and requires a cautious approach.

Christopher R. Hove, MD
Paoli Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eye hollow

huijonglee, Try fillers before implants to make sure you like what you see. Implants are permanent (although silicone implants are easy to remove), not a bad idea to try a temporary fix before signing up for a permanent one. For hollow eyes I use a "SOOF lift blepharoplasty" which works extremely well. See my web site for further information. Good luck!!!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Malar Hypoplasia

Implants are a permanent correction of an anatomical problem. Fillers are a temporary camouflaging of the finding.  Fat transfer is a more long lasting camouflage technique.  All are acceptable treatments. Best wishes.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Orbital rim implants vs fillers

Off the shelf fillers (e.g. Juvederm), fat transplants and permanent implants are all accepted treatment.
Orbital rim implants give an excellent and permanent result - but surgery costs more at one time compared to fillers and there can be complications.
Fat injections have predictable results in some surgeon's hands, but can resorb in 3 months - and need to be redone.
Filler injections give about 1 year of improvement and are done in the office. In time they cost much more than surgery. They can cause blue discoloration in the skin and permanent lumps (granulomas) that need surgical excision.

All are reasonable choices. 

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Fat grafting best for correcting hollows/orbital rim deficiency.

Fat grafting is the best solution because:
  1. It is permanent when properly done- unlike temporary fillers 
  2. The stem cells resident in the fat rejuvenate the overlying skin
  3. The surgeon has more flexibility in distributing the volume where it is needed- unlike implants 
Check out the web link below for the proper way to process fat so it is permanent and the video below to see how fat grafting improves facial contour. 

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Fat transfer

Facial rejuvenation through volume changes is one of the most common means around the eyes and cheeks. It used to be that implants were always used. Today I almost never use implants anymore. They are foreign material and have many problems. You can try fillers, but I utilize advanced fat transfer techniques that lasts forever. Facial fat grafting is the key to facial rejuvenation. I would look into this more specifically with an advanced cosmetic surgeon to  see I you are a candidate. Best wishes.

Matthew G. Stanwix, MD, FACS
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Filler vs orbital rim implant

In the past, when fillers weren't available, rim implants were used more often. However, they are much more invasive with various possible side effects. In the age fillers, they have become almost obsolete, except in rare circumstances. That is not you. Fillers are safer and more predictable and reversible. They also tend to last a long time around the eyes.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon