Procedure to fix uneven lip? (photos)

Got my lip busted open when I was 5 on a chain bridge at a park from getting pushed off of it, the doctor did what he could at the time and basically just told my parents to let it heal, now I'm left with a very noticeable uneven upper lip, tired of people constantly noticing it and asking what happened, especially being 19 now it makes me cover my mouth when I talk because I'm so self conscious because of it, can anything be done? Thanks

Doctor Answers 7

Traumatic lip injuries

are often distressing to patients! In your case it appears as if the repair that was done at the time of injury resulted in scar that formed at the junction of your dry and wet mucosa and makes your upper lip uneven. This ball of scar tissue can usually be removed surgically (it can be done under local analgesia in the office!) by taking a wedge of your mucosa out and carefully realigning your lip so that the orientation and contour is similar to the left upper lip. Up to 1/3 of the upper lip can be removed without changing the general shape of the mouth or making the opening of the mouth too small. I would be happy to give you a formal consultation.

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

Excision under local is often all that is needed to correct scar tissue of lips.

Lip scar tissue is easily removed under local and so worth it. You can drive yourself home and have a fairly quick recovery.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 42 reviews

Uneven lips

You would benefit from excision of your right upper lip redundancy with the incision placed over the inner mucosal/red vermillion border

Arian Mowlavi, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 65 reviews

Scar tissue, treatment options -- Surgery/Lasers/Microneedling/Fillers, 5fu steroids

Scarring and scar tissue requires a combination approach and sometimes that means surgical removal, lasers, micro needling and fillers. I suggest you see an expert in scar treatment for optimal results. Best, Dr. Emer

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 190 reviews

Uneven lip secondary to trauma.

Uneven lip secondary  to trauma. This can be repaired now by removing scar tissue for the lip and this can be done under local anesthesia by a very experienced facial plastic or plastic surgeon.

Toby Mayer, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 34 reviews

Lip repair

it looks like that was a pretty deep cut when you were 5 years old! In addition to the scarring, the cut likely severed some of the muscle, causing the bulge. It would be interesting to see what this looks like when you smile and pucker. Reapproximating the muscle after all these years is not easy and may not be able to be done. I think what can be done easily is to remove the scar tissue and a bit of the wet mucosa that pooches out. This should even out your lip at rest, but it may not be completely symmetrical when you move your mouth. See a board certified plastic surgeon (particularly a pediatric plastic surgeon who does a lot of cleft lip work) for an in person consultation. 

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Procedure to fix uneven lip?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  It appears that you had a fair amount of scar tissue develop along your right upper lip (left in the picture) during the healing phase of your laceration.  This has caused you the fullness and irregularity relative to your left upper lip.  Correction will require a reapproximation of the tissues while removing a significant portion of the scar to better match your uninjured side.    Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation.

Nelson Castillo, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 65 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.