Can I wear my retainer with veneers?

I notice when I put my retainer on and take it off now the metal wire slides along the surface of the veneer. Will this weaken my veneer in anyway or make it more likely that it will come off?

Retainer and veneers #DrSoftTouch

Great question! I would not recommend wearing your metal retainer with veneers, as your risk scratching your veneers. Talk to your dentist about having a clear, plastic retainer made instead. Good luck and I hope this helps. Click save on the save button below my name, so that you may ask me more questions in the future. 

Wear retainers with veneers.

Hi, thanks for write.

During the time when the final crowns are made in the lab, patient has the provisional crowns that should be identical to final restorations. The 3 week time period is not enough to cause any shifting of the teeth, so you shouldn`t be concerned about relapse. Usually central teeth have higher chances to relapse due to less bony support and that is why anterior sites are handled with more careful approach. Once you will get the final crowns the Essix retainer will be adjusted to their shape. Remember that retainers are just for keep the teeth on the same place before braces.

Good luck!

Yocasta Caba, DDS
Dominican Republic Dentist

Porcelain veneers

Yes it  is best not to wear the retainers with metals with veneers.  You can ask your doctor to make you a clear plastic retainers, similar to invisalign trays.  They work well and protect your veneers at the same time.  Good luck.