Options for Flattening out Mandibular Angle? (photo)

I had a class III underbite at around 10 yrs old which was treated with braces for 2 yrs, but still have around a 2mm discrepancy. What I dont understand is I appear to have a class II relationship in profile view but with a steep gonial angle instead of an underbite appearance. I have never mouthbreathed I think to the best of my knowledge. My heritage is middle eastern but no one in my immediate family has an underbite.

Doctor Answers 2

Vertical Jaw Angle Implants for Steep Gonial Angles

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You do have a high mandibular (gonial) angle. While you are correct in that this type of jaw angle shape is more commonly seen in Class II malocculsions with a short chin, it can be seen in any state of jaw development. For correction you need a vertical lengthening jaw angle implants to lower the angle position.

You do not need a surgery... you need an injection

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

All you need is a Botox injection in the muscle at the mandibular angle (called masseter). You should find a Doctor familiar with injecting the Botox into this muscle. With time, the muscle will shrink by 2 to 4mm.

Nabil Fanous, MD
Montreal Facial Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.