Options for Flattening out Mandibular Angle? (photo)

I had a class III underbite at around 10 yrs old which was treated with braces for 2 yrs, but still have around a 2mm discrepancy. What I dont understand is I appear to have a class II relationship in profile view but with a steep gonial angle instead of an underbite appearance. I have never mouthbreathed I think to the best of my knowledge. My heritage is middle eastern but no one in my immediate family has an underbite.

Vertical Jaw Angle Implants for Steep Gonial Angles

You do have a high mandibular (gonial) angle. While you are correct in that this type of jaw angle shape is more commonly seen in Class II malocculsions with a short chin, it can be seen in any state of jaw development. For correction you need a vertical lengthening jaw angle implants to lower the angle position.

You do not need a surgery... you need an injection

All you need is a Botox injection in the muscle at the mandibular angle (called masseter). You should find a Doctor familiar with injecting the Botox into this muscle. With time, the muscle will shrink by 2 to 4mm.

Nabil Fanous, MD
Montreal Facial Plastic Surgeon