My question is could a mole on my vagina lips be cancerous?

I have a mole on my outer labia and inner labia. I've known of one of them for most of my life but it has changed in size and color over the years. At one point it itched a little. I'm 24 and was told about it when I was about 10 years old. Now there are two

Safer to have it checked

Hi, Moles can be present from birth and be nothing to worry about, but they can also change into something more sinister. Any mole that changes in color, changes shape, changes size, has irregular borders, becomes raised, starts to bleed should be checked out by a Dermatologist. Your age has no bearing, young people can unfortunately have sinister changes also, so to be on the safe side, you should have it checked out.Good luck!

Mole to cancer progression

There is very small risk of melanoma from a common melnaocytic nevus but if a mole rapidly increases in size, changes colour, having asymmetric borders, bleeding or ulceration then it is better to consult a dermatologist. Removal of mole is an easy procedure.

Amrendra Kumar, MD
India Dermatologist

Cosmetic Mole Removal -- Lasers, Radiowave, Shave -- See an Expert

If you are concerned about a mole, I suggest you have a cosmetic physician evaluate the area to be treated. This can be removed in the office.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Always get moles checked out yearly.

Moles rarely change into bad stuff but you should never miss getting a check up yearly on them since it can save lives.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Pigmented lesion on labia

Thank you for your question. Without examining you it is almost impossible to make a judgment. Moles that should raise alarm bells are the ones the change colour, are asymmetrical, have irregular borders and have recently undergone rapid changes. I would suggest consulting a board certified plastic surgeon or gynaecologist so that they can examine you.

Can a mole in the vaginal area be cancerous

Hi,A mole in any location on the body can be cancerous.  However a mole in a 24 yo generally is not a problem.  There are also some genetic conditions that are associated with an increase in moles on mucosal surfaces (eg. lips and vaginal surfaces).  Although it is unlikely to be a problem, I would consider visiting your friendly neighborhood dermatologist and get checked out.

Seth Kates, MD
Worcester Dermatologic Surgeon