Fat Transfer or Filler help my hands? (photos)

My hands look old and I bruise with the slightest bump on the tops of my hands and fingers as you can see from the photo. What can be done?

Hand rejuvenation

Thank you for your question. In my opinion there are 2 main treatment options.

1- Fat injection. It requires anesthesia but you get long lasting results

2- Filler. Doesn't require anesthesia but doesn't last as long as fat. Fillers last around a year.

Bowling Green Physician

Hand rejuvenation

Aging hands are related to the skin changes that come from loosing the volume that comes naturally with aging, accentuated in smokers or chronic sun exposure. A great way to improve this is with fat transfer in the right planes and amounts performed under local anesthesia. It is a simple procedure if performed correctly and improves not only the volume loss but maybe because of the stem cells in the fat I have seen it improves the quality of the skin. In the few cases that the fat does not remain as usual it can be repeated easily. 

The use of fillers is another option and it can be done if your surgeon has the right experience with permanent fillers like Bellafil. Poorly performed it can cause lumpiness.

Hand Rejuvenation

Great question,

Hand rejuvenation using a filler can fill in the hollowed areas in the hands. With just one treatment, you can achieve smooth and natural-looking results that can last up to one year. 

Redness, bruising or swelling may occur. These signs are normal and usually go away in a short period of time and are generally mild in nature. You may apply an ice-pack to help reduce the swelling. We provide every patient with post-treatment care specific instructions. 

David Shahram Mashhadian, MD
Beverly Hills Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Both good options...

Fat transfer will last longer, but is associated with more risks like infection and anesthesia risks. The fillers have less risks but do not last as long and requires injections for maintenance. This will build volume and hide the prominent veins. Then you may need some mild skin resurfacing with IPL or micro-needling.

See an experienced board certified plastic surgeon for best results. 

Best wishes, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

Radiesse to make hands look more youthful

Radiesse is the only filler specifically FDA-approved for improving the hands.  While other fillers and fat can be used, Radiesse has the benefit of not only providing long lasting fullness to soften the contour of the tops of the hands, but also, because it is an opaque white gel, of hiding or camouflaging visible vessels and tendons.  It won't take away your skin's tendency for bruising but they may be less visible.

I hope that answerwas helpful. Best wished

Heidi A. Waldorf, MD

Hand fat transfer

Restylane skinboosters is very good for hand rejuvenation but having carried out hand rejuvenation using Restylane Skinboosters, Radiesse and autologous fat transfer. 

Fat grafting is natural and last longer , the only limitation is whether you have enough fat. But really you do not need a lot of fat for hand rejuvenation.

Another plus for hand revitalisation with fat is that you can also put some in the palms.

Boye D. Adeboye, MD
London Physician

Fat transfer or filler help my hands?

Both can achieve very good improvement. Fillers will only last about a year more or less. In my experience fat is best when staged in two sessions. But once you achieve your goal will last many years.

Curtis Perry, MD
Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bumps/Veins/Hands/Fillers or Fat?--Hand Rejuvenation with fillers, fat, sclerotherapy

Fillers like Radiesse can be used to increase volume. More permanently you can have fat injected and/or even sclerotherapy of the hand veins.  I suggest seeing a cosmetic dermatologist with expertise in hand rejuvenation.  Best, Dr. Emer.