I'm 2.5 weeks after Lipo of flanks, abdomen and lower back. Having pain trying to sleep, what is causing this?

I'm a side sleeper, after the surgery I was so swollen in my lower back that I could only sleep on my sides. Now, when I try to sleep on my sides, a burning pain sets in immediately and I have to move to my back. Having back pain now as its not a position I like to sleep in. I had a mixture of tumescent and laser lipo. I had no problems sleeping on side early in recovery but this burning pain started a few nights ago. It's the same on both sides. I presume pressure, what is this pain?

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting -- PAIN AFTER LIPOSUCTION

severe pain after liposuction is not normal i suggest you speak to your physician.  nerve pain and being uncomfortable for a number of weeks to months is normal.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Lipoosuction - burning pain more tan 2 weeks afterwards

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • People do vary a lot in the pain they have after surgery.
  • However the pain usually is worse at the beginning and slowly improves.
  • Laser liposuction can damage nerves, causing late nerve pain, including burning pain.
  • Please see your surgeon to discuss this - you might need medication and a lot of time for this to subside.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Pain after liposuction

Sometimes nerve endings come out of shock and give unpleasant sensations after liposuction.  If severe enough, sometimes certain meds can help.  Contact your surgeon and see if his/her office can help to increase your comfort and allow you to sleep more easily.

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction, strange sensation, pain, flank and sides liposuction, depressed sinking skin

Thank you for the query. Post liposuction there is a lot of swelling and inflammation underneath the skin which is not evident from outside- causing pain and discomfort. However you need to be seen in person and have a proper clinical examination to rule out unusual causes like infection, burn etc. Considering this may not be the case, then these symptoms should settle over time- standard pain killers will help you tide over this period of discomfort and don't  forget to wear you pressure garments. Do visit your surgeon for a follow up and rule out any unusual causes of this problem.Best wishes, Dr Alexander

Alexander George, MCh
India Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction pain

Sensai,
Thanks for your question.
It is not uncommon for you to be pain free in the beginning and then develop the type of pain you are experiencing.  As the body heals, the nerves which were numb come back to life and you can experience a burning, tingling and pulling sensation (pain).  You may find that taking Advil/Motrin at bedtime may alleviate some of your discomfort and realize that the tenderness resolves over a few weeks. 
Please consult with your surgeon before taking any of our advise.
Feel beter.
Dr. T

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS

Burning pain

Everyone's recovery is a bit different.  As the swelling comes down, the numbness usually subsides and a burning sensation or electricity like sensations can occur. It is always a good idea to be seen in person to make sure it is nothing more than that.