Inside Nostril Swelling After Rhinoplasty

I had open rhinoplasty exactly 1 month ago, overall im happy with the results of the bridge, however one of my nostrils is bigger than the other. When i look from the side and from below i can see some thick fleshy swelling that is surrounding the inside of the nostril that appears bigger from the front, my surgeon says this is because he had to do more work on this nostril and this is scar tissue that will resolve, and even out. I never had any asymmetry visible before surgery. Advice?

Swelling of the nostrils after rhinoplasty

An open rhinoplasty involves incisions across the skin of the nose between the nostrils as well as inside the nostrils themselves. At one month out from your surgery it is quite possible there is a difference in the amount of swelling between the two sides. Any asymmetry you notice now may resolve after several months. If it does not, steroid injections may provide an option for improvement.

Scar tissue inside nostril following nose job

Scar tissue is still forming one month after surgery and therefore I would give it a minimum of 3 months prior to assessing the result. Steroid injections could potentially help but it is too early for this.

Dent and Crooked Nose After Surgery?

If you underwent a simple rhinoplasty or correction of nasal tip operation it means that your cartilage or bone structures are not excised. Since the manipulation is minimal; the edema will be minimal also. Nasal buffers will not be applied after these operations but only strip bandages. These strip bandages will be removed after 5th postoperative day. You can continue to do your daily work just after the procedure but we do not advise you heavy lifting or excessive exercise.

If you underwent rhinoplasty operation in which the bone and cartilage structures are also involved like concha hypertrophy, septum deviation or secondary rhinoplasty; then intranasal buffers will be applied in order to reduce the edema. These intranasal buffers will be removed after 5th postoperative day. You can continue to do your daily work just after the procedure but we do not advise you heavy lifting or excessive exercise. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Rhinoplasty...

During Rhinoplasty recovery, while most of your swelling will resolve in a couple weeks, you will have a minor degree of swelling for several months.  The tip of your nose and nostrils are likely to have some swelling for the longest amount of time, up to a year.  With having Rhinoplasty done 1 month ago, some swelling is definitely normal.  Be sure to continue to follow up with your surgeon to discuss your concerns

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling in Nostril after Rhinoplasty

Asymmetrical swelling may occur after rhinoplasty, whether an open or closed technique is used. This swelling typically resolves with time. Be patient for another 3-4 months. If you or your surgeon are not satisfied, this can be improved with steroid injections or a minor revision.