Can biting my lips/skin ruin my lip filler?

I got Juvederm in my lips 2 days ago. I've tried Restylane before, but got nothing from it. I was considering a fat transfer but decided to try fillers again first, considering my face will change over the years. For years I've been conpulsively biting off the skin on the inside of my cheeks and lips. I bite my lips mostly on the inside but the skin can come off all the way to the outside too. Could it affect my filler to leak, dissolve or move? If yes, is it safe after the swelling has passed?

Lip Biting and Fillers in Lips

Unfortunately the lip biting might have an adverse effect on your filler or cause an infection in that area.  I would definitely consider trying to address the lip biting before having the fillers.  Best, Dr. Green

Thank you for your question.  After filler placement, time must be given for the injection sites to heal and the filler material to settle in order to minimize the risk of infection and any migration of the filler.  After two days all is likely well but you will feel your filler for up to two weeks as it softens. Hope this helps.

Lip biting

Biting the skin off your lips is a bad idea, with risks of scarring and infection, under any circumstances. With filler in place, you can certainly move it around and adversely affect the results. You need to find a way to stop this behavior. If you can't do it on your own, I would consider consulting a psychiatrist for help with your compulsion. Good luck!

Nicole Kafka, MD
New York General Surgeon

Biting lip after filler will affect results

There are several problems with this habit. You run the risk of infection, uneven results and shorter longevity. It makes no difference if you do so before or after swelling. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD