Juverderm in my lips doesn't last longer than 2 weeks! Help!

Juverderm in my lips doesn't last longer than 2 weeks! ... I have a small mouth and lips but have tried juverderm 4 times (half syringe the first time then 2 weeks later it's gone so get the other half put in and then same thing it literally disappears) I don't get bruising and love them for the first few days until the little bit of swelling goes away and I'm left with what I started with.. should I do silikon 1000? I don't want to do a lip implant .. Please help!

Lip filler

I would recommend trying a different brand of filler, sometimes your body will break one down faster than another product. Good luck.

Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm

There are 2 types of Juvederm - ultra and ultra plus, ultra is thinner and may disappear faster. Also, what you like about your lips is swelling, so for you to maintain the size you want, you may need to put more filler and allow the swelling to settle for the final result. That means your lips may look too big at first. Finally, most patients who get lip filler may see it not last for the first few times they get them, but with repeated treatments they last longer.

The effect of swelling after a lip injection

The lips are a very sensitive area to treat. When you poke it with a needle, it can swell like a bee sting. 

If you like the appearance of the lips immediately after an injection and the result goes away in the first two weeks, then the swelling reaction was the source of the lip appearance. The change caused by the filler seems small in comparison to the swelling. You may need additional filler to achieve your goal. 

Too much filler can give a very unnatural duck-lip or trout-pout appearance. The filler is dissolvable, but then you are starting from scratch. It's challenging to dissolve a select amount.  It's better to start with multiple conservative injections vs overinjecting/dissolving/reinjecting. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Fillers and Juvederm NYC

There are two different types of fillers for the lips.  Juvederm Ultra and Ultra Plus.  The Ultra Plus is thicker and should fill better for the lip area.  Without photos or knowing how much product was added my suggestion would be to have more filler placed.  I don't like permanent fillers as they can cause problems later on.  Best, Dr. Green

Juvederm Disappears

Hi SG.  The minimum we typically inject in the lips is 1 syringe (1 CC) for exactly the reason you are stating.  Anything less just seems to disappear.  What you are seeing is the initial swelling, and it's understandable that you are disappointed when this goes down.  

We find that when patients first start on lip injections, it usually takes 2-3 visits to get where they want to be, because the lips do not to adjust to the product and stretch slightly.

You have several options.  You can continue down the road you are on until you get the appearance you like or if you believe another injector or product will do better then maybe it is time to switch.  To see examples of lip injections in our Los Angeles office click on the link below to see the before and after photos.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Hi, If your dermal fillers are not providing the duration of effects or the volume that you aare seeking, it might be time to consider a Permalip implant.  We place these in less than 30 minutes using a local anesthetic.  

Hope this helps.

Juvederm in lips

Restylane or Restylane Silk may be better options for you than Juvederm. Also ensure that you are utilizing an experienced and expert injector who can properly perform the treatment.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Juvederm in lips

Thank you for the question. It seems you absorb the product very rapidly. You could ask your injector to try another filler, like Restylane. Or you could have a consultation for lip implants. I suggest this to many of my patients who have come in for multiple lip injections. The implants are soft, made of silicone, and produce great lasting results. Good luck! 

Arnold Almonte, DO
Roseville Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm is disappearing too quickly

Thank you for sharing your problem. You could try having a thicker product such as Restylane Lyft injected into you lips. This will likely volumize more and last longer. Make sure you have an experienced injector perform the procedure.
Good luck,