I have a turkey neck since weight loss, what can be done & does botox work?

What can be done for a turkey neck after weight loss?

Weight loss can increase the aging process and result in excess skin-more of it and sooner! Unfortunately, any type of non-surgical procedure is going to help very little. Once there is excess skin, then surgery is usually the best option. An evaluation needs to be done to see whether you are a candidate for my MiniMax lift or a traditional face/neck lift. The former I do in my certified operating room under a total local anesthesia for about half the price of a traditional procedure. My specialty is face and body contouring after weight loss and I am president of the American Society of Bariatric Plastic Surgeons.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Turkey neck

Thank you for your question tradohtra. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. It is difficult to make any assessment without a photograph. Platysmal bands on the neck can be treated with Botox. Kybella can be used to address a double chin or submental fat. Skin tightening or resurfacing treatment can address wrinkles and loose skin. Surgical options are also available. 

Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

I have a turkey neck since weight loss, what can be done & does botox work

It is difficulty to say without at least seeing pictures but it might likely take a surgical neck lift. I do not think Botox will fix looseness in the neck.

Julio Garcia, MD

Turkey neck

Congratulations on the weight loss! Generally speaking, turkey necks are usually due to excess skin and loose muscles in your neck. This will require a necklift which removes the skin and tightens your muscles. Sometimes if you have only minimal skin excess, there are non invasive procedures using machines which produce energy to tighten your skin. Botox can only improve your neck if you have significant muscle banding traveling down your neck. This is a temporary solution which requires repeat treatments every 3-4 months. It is best to have an in offiec examination to determine what is the exact cause of your neck appearance so the safest and most effective plan can be formulated. Hope this helps!!

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

How can I treat a turkey neck due to weight loss?

Hello, thank you for your question.  Congratulations on the weight loss!  Without a photo it is hard to determine the amount of laxity you are experiencing in the neck area.  There are a couple of non-surgical procedures that you can try.  I would recommend Ultherapy or INFINI for tightening skin under the neck. Essentially, both devices are delivering heat deep in the dermis, causing a "heat injury", and your body's natural response to an injury is to build collage and repair those thermal injuries.  Building collagen is the structure of your skin and can tighten the area. You can check on the website of both devices to see who in your area provides these treatments.

Good Luck!

Mark A. Blair, MD
Phoenix Dermatologic Surgeon

Turkey neck treatment

It's hard to offer an accurate assessment without seeing some photos or evaluating you in person. That being said, a turkey neck implies skin laxity while a double chin indicates submental fullness (below chin fat). Skin laxity can be treated with an ultrasound or radio-frequency based device such as Ultherapy, ThermiRF, Thermage, etc. A surgical neck lift would also be a treatment option for skin laxity. Submental fat could be treated with Kybella injection, CoolSculpting Cool-Mini or liposuction. I recommend an in-person consultation with an experienced physician to determine whether you need a skin laxity (turkey neck) treatment or fat reduction (double chin) procedure. Botox is not a treatment option for either a turkey neck or double chin.

Treatment of the turkey neck after weight loss?

treatment of a turkey neck which is excess skin can only be improved with a face- neck lift. If you do mini procedures you are wasting your money. See a very experienced facelift surgeon for the best results. 

Turkey Neck

First of all, yes, Botox works, and works well. See an experienced injector. There is a reason it is the number one cosmetic treatment in America.

Secondly, there are several options for a turkey neck. Many can be performed in an office setting. Other more sophisticated techniques such as a high SMAS deep plane lift with subplatysmal contouring require a visit to an operating room. I recommend you see someone that customizes their approach to neck problems so your particular anatomy can be treated as successfully as possible.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.

Facial Rejuvenation Specialist

Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treating A Turkey Neck After Weight Loss

Congratulations on your weight loss! The answer to your question would depend on how much loose neck skin you have. Since you did not post a picture, the best thing to do would be have an in-person consultation and evaluation. If there is mild to moderate loose skin then options such as Ultherapy and ThermiTight may work. If there is too much loose skin then a surgical face/neck lift may be the only option. Please see an experienced provider. Best wishes.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Facelift would give the best results

I have been  performing post-bariatric plastic surgery for 19 years and have not seen any non-surgical procedure improve the lax neck following weight loss.  Laser and radiofrequency may tighten skin a small amount.  A large amount of fillers would be necessary but would not contribute to an attractive result.  My patients have enjoyed their facelifts almost as much as their body lifts and abdominoplasties following weight loss!

Marisa Lawrence, MD