17 days post op tummy tuck. Too early to get general idea of what size to buy? (Photos)

My doctor advised that final results take at least 6 months. I'm 17 days post op & I'm in a wedding in Feb and need to size for dresses next month. I'm naturally short waisted/straight thru hips. If this is what I look like at the end of the day ( some days swelling is much worse) If I measure myself first thing in morning, is it too early to use this as indicator of final size? How much smaller does someone get usually? Also, Is there any harm in leaving it on longer than recommended?

17 days post op tummy tuck . Too early to get general idea of what size to buy?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and congratulations on your tummy tuck.  Depending on the amount of swelling fluctuations that you experience it is difficult to predict your final size or even your size in an additional 4 months.  If possible I would recommend sizing yourself as you appear in the morning and having additional tailoring done to the dress as needed closer to the wedding.  Remember that you can continue to use your compression garment or Spanx at that time of the wedding.

Final Results Post-Op Tummy Tuck

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area and the scrotal and penis area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

While all of this time may last for the swelling and complete healing to take place you may want to wait a little while until closer to the wedding to get the size for your dress as to what your abdomen will fit at that time. You may be able to go sometime soon for an initial fit, but you likely will not want to make the purchase until the wedding comes closer just in case the swelling happens to go down drastically in a few months. Good luck!

Tummy tuck - how to be fitted for wedding party dress?

Thank you for your question about your tummy tuck.

• First of all - it is fine to wear the compression garment for as long as you feel you need it.
  • Here's the best approach to having the bridal party dress fit.
  • When is the wedding? Morning, afternoon or evening?
  • Have the fitting as close to the time of the wedding as possible - late in the day if an evening wedding.
  • The fit should be good, not tight and not loose.
  • Then plan about 2 weeks before the wedding, trying it on again and have it taken in, if and as needed.
  • If you expect to wear the garment or a Spanx on at the wedding - wear it at the fitting.
  • Have a wonderful time!

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes, Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD

Post Op Swelling

Residual abdominal swelling typically lasts 4 months or more so you can expect to slim down a little more as long as you are watching your calorie intake. I usually recommend silicone scar treatment for 4-6 months, beginning once the incision is well-healed and for a Tummy Tuck, this can be between 3-4 weeks post op. I recommend that you ask your Plastic Surgeon to advise you about next steps.

All the best

Early post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
At this point (17 days post-po) the swelling is normal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
If after six months post-op, I recommend you send us your photos again, to give you more information about how we can solve this problem.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD