Will I be refused a mini face lift at 26?

I am 26 years old but I really feel that my face sags much more than it should for someone of my age due to dramatic weight loss in my teens. I hate the folds from the sides of my nose and mouth. Is a surgical mini face lift an ideal procedure for someone of my age?

Mini facelift at 26

Thank  you for your question. Typically someone 26 years old would not be a candidate for a mini facelift. However Sn examination would be in order to determine whether a surgical or non-surgical procedure would be the optimal treatment for you. There  are many noninvasive treatments to assist with volume loss in the face such as fillers and fat grafting.Typically , when you add volume to the face it provides a much more youthful image . If you have a moderate amount of skin laxity , jowls , and deep nasolabial folds a mini face lift may be the answer to your concerns . Definitely a consult with a board certified plastic surgeon is recommended .

Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

I appreciate your concern, and photos would be helpful, but I doubt Mini-Facelift is needed because you are only 26. Other, less invasive options, include Botox and fillers. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Hi, I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts on women in their late twenties and early thirties that had early "jowl" formation.  Non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation.  

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

If the chin is weak, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.   I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective.

If you have "jowls” these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:
  • very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery ( several days instead of weeks or months with the more invasive type facelifts mentioned)
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

Hope this helps.

Facelift at 26

I have always said that it is not chronologic age that matters but physical condition. The youngest patient I have performed facelift on was a 32 year old who had a 100 pound weight loss after gastric bypass surgery and had very excessive skin laxity and redundancy. This would be the type of young person who would likely need a facelift type procedure. It would be best for you to go for some consults and have some expert analysis and recommendations for what would best meet your needs with the least amount of risk.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

I would think long and hard before I do a facelift on a 26 years old. However there are some circumstances I may consider. If the aging is due to fat loss, deflation of the face I would also consider fat grafting before a facelift. Only by in person consultation and examination a decision can be done.