Nipple is Black After Gynecomastia Surgery? (photo)

I got the surgery done 7 days ago and what I got done was, on my left nipple (black one) was removal of the gland, lipo, and got the actual nipple's size reduced. On my right one, I got the same done, minus the removal of the gland. The method my surgeon used for the reduction of the actual nipple's size was where he removed the middle of the nipple, and put the tip of the nipple where the middle was. Any insight as to what may be happening and what could happen?

Nipple is Black After Gynecomastia Surgery?

The black nipple is certainly not a good sign.  However, I can see pink around the nipple.  This may be an area of severe venous congestion.  This may only be a superficial area of necrosis, but this is impossible to tell from these pictures alone.  You need an exam by your plastic surgeon.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Nipple is Black 7 Days After Gynecomastia Surgery

Seeing the #final results can take some time as each breast commonly heal at different rates of each other. Also, your incisions will go through a maturation process after #gynecomastia surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform your surgeon.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin.  In the future, any #indentations may be addressed with fat #grafting or #cosmetic #fillers if you are  deemed a good fit.If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Nipple is Black After Gynecomastia Surgery

The change of colors could be a number of factors from swelling to more serious. Consult with your surgeon as soon as possible as he or she understands the scope of the surgery and the specifics about you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS