The left side of my face seems tight and full, but the right cheek feels loose. Can you tighten one side of your face?

One side of my face seems slightly droopier than the other side. The left side of my face seems tight and full, but the right cheek feels looser and I have a line by my nose as well as a dimple. The left does not have this. It's not super noticeable, but it bothers me. I model and feel like it shows more in photos. Is there a way to tighten the right side of my face? Or get rid of the slight line and dimple so it matches at least? I don't sleep on that side or chew on it either...

Asymmetry of healing after a facelift is common.

Patients often times will have some asymmetric swelling which may lead them to believe that one side is tighter than the other. Almost always these sensations will improve with time and the final result will be symmetrical.

Asymmetric face in model

• Every face is asymmetric, so this is normal.
  • That doesn't change the fact that it may interfere with your career - and should be addressed.
  • Yes, a hemi-face lift can be done if asymmetry is marked,
  • Or fillers and Botox can be used to improve the less-perfect side.
  • The easiest approach might be injection of Voluma on the droopier side of the face but 
  • A face-to-face evaluation and study of your photos - with you, so your surgeon can be sure to understand what bothers you - is needed to decide for you specifically, whether filler or something more invasive is better. 
  • Hope this helps. Best  wishes.

Facial asymmetry and facial tigthness differences.

Dear Susan. Thanks for your question.
Facial asymmetry is a common finding. An examination is needed to help you determine the best course of action. Either facial fillers or facial mini procedure can help you achieve closer symmetry.
Consider having an evaluation with a board certified plastic surgeon with a good reputation so that using a computerized imaging software different options can be shown.
Dr Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Tightening of face

It sounds like you would be an excellent candidate for a non-surgical skin tightening with Thermage whose radio-frequency energy causes the collagen to tighten. This is an office procedure. It works also for body looseness with little or no downtime.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Facial asymmetry

Almost everybody has facial asymmetry to some degree.  I have never seen a case where I would do a face lift on one side and not the other.  Photos would really help determine whether your asymmetry is within the normal range.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Unilateral facial procedures

can be done but if big procedures such as a facelift, can leave you still with one side looser than the other.  Best to see a local plastic surgeon and vent your concerns and allow an examination to provide you options from which you can choose from as you should have many provided to you, from fillers, to resurfacing, to fat grafting, etc.

Curtis Wong, MD

The left side of my face seems tight and full, but the right cheek feels loose.

Without photos to evaluate, it is hard to give you advice.  You may be able to have fillers to make your face more symmetrical; you may need a bit of a lift; possibly skin tightening using something like Protege.  If you would like to send photos, I'd be happy to evaluate them for you.

Facial Assymetry

Dear Susan, As stated by many of the other experts what you are probably noticing is asymmetry in facial fullness giving the appearance that your left side is more lax. Using a facial imaging computer during consultation analysis will be helpful to determine the best plan to correct the asymmetry. Fillers, fat injections or surgery are all possibilities. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Facial Asymmetry

The best recommendation is to have an in-person consultation with a board certified specialist in the face.  3-dimensional computer imaging can help you visualize the issues you are seeing and how you might look after some enhancements.  More importantly, it will serve as an important communication tool with your surgeon.  There are several state-of-the-art advancements and technology that can help improve and tighten the side of the face without scarring.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Facial Asymmetry

Most likely you are noticing the variable volume in the face.  No two sides of the face are exactly equal in volume, cheek prominence, or vertical length.  If one side of the face (left in your case) has more fat content, then the skin envelope will seem tighter.  One can gain better facial symmetry with either fat injections or various fillers including Sculptra which will give a nice general fill of the face for 2 yrs or more.

I would recommend you go to a Plastic Surgeon that offers 3 D imaging so you can see the effect of adding volume to your left side of your face.  A one sided facelift can be perfomed for those with marked asymmetries (such as after strokes or Belle's Palsy).

Gilbert Lee, MD