Was Restylane Silk the right choice for nasolabial folds, marionette lines, and lip border definition/volume?

Did 1 syringe Restylane 2 wks ago. Returned today as folds not as smoothed out as I hoped and wanted more to my lips (1st time was just a couple drops). I happened to mention Rest. Silk this time and we wound up going with that. Worried that Silk was the wrong choice. My concern is not fine surface lines. I have a lean face, with n/l muscles closely attached to skin. I can benefit from volume. In terms of lips, goal was to define and bring up border/roll. Concerned I wasted $ on wrong filler.

Silk

Without seeing a photo of you it is hard to make specific recommendations for your concerns. In general, Restylane Silk is a great filler for fine lines around the mouth and can also be used for the fine etched in lines of the cheeks and nasolabial area. It is also a great filler for a subtle more natural fill of the lip and the lip line. However, if you area looking for more volume in your face, then you need to go with a more robust filler such as Voluma or Restylane Lyft of the midface region and Restylane or Juvederm Ultra for the nasolabial area and lips. 

Orange County Dermatologist

Volume and facial wrinkles

An in person consultation is the best way to ascertain which filler would be best for you. Voluma would be the best choice for adding volume to your face. Voluma will last longer and is a beautiful filler which will give you more natural results. Please consult an expert with facial fillers for the best cosmetic results. Best, Dr. Green

Where Restylane Silk Works Best

Restylane Silk is a great filler for the etched in vertical lip lines or to give a subtle and natural lip enhancement. It can be useful in the nasolabial folds if there are very superficial etched in lines. Usually, however, the issue with nasolabial folds and marionette lines is volume loss and Restylane Silk is not the best choice in those situations. Regular Restylane or Juvederm work better. Spreading 1 syringe out over all those areas is a recipe for suboptimal results.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Fillers

You are right, restylane silk is really best for fine lines. I prefer other hyaluronic acid products. Best of luck.

HA Fillers

Thank you for your question. Without examining you in person, it's difficult to tell what your main concerns are - however, if you're looking for more volume in your lips and lower face, then a different more robust HA filler may have been more appropriate. Restylane silk is great for the fine lines in the perioral region, and to help define the lip roll, and even fill the lips; but for deeper folds, other fillers like juvederm ultra or ultra plus or Voluma may be more appropriate. It all has to do with how much G prime a filler gives. This defines the amount of life. And, as with all things, some have more than others. I am hopeful that the person treating you tried to make the best decision for you; but, in the future, be clear about what your goals are. Sometimes, as surgeons and clinicians, we see things that we want to treat but they may not be YOUR main concern. Best of luck! 

Restylane

If your concern is volume loss and the wrinkles/ folds that result from sagging skin, I would recommend talking to your doctor about fillers such as Juvederm Voluma, Restylane Lyft or Sculptra. Although Silk is a great product for creating more youthful lips through increased lip definition, it is not appropriate to use for all-over facial rejuvenation. Also, setting realistic expectations is key. Make sure your provider explains how much correction you should expect with different amounts of product. Best of luck!

Justin Harper, MD
Columbus Physician

Restylane Silk / Tear Troughs /Nasal labial folds/ Lip Augmentation/ Hyaluronic acid fillers

I appreciate your question.

Without photos, difficult to comment on what would be the best filler for you.  The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Restylane Silk is an excellent filler for fine lines, lips, etched lines, tear troughs and nasolabial folds.  If you are looking for volume enhancement, Restylane Lyft would have been a better choice.

Please see a board-certified cosmetic plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute
#RealSelf100Surgeon

Restylane Silk - In Nasolabial Folds, Marionette Lines?

Thank you for your question. I prefer Restylane Lyft for the nasolabial folds and marionette lines. These areas typically require significant volume to correct the deprssions and Silk is not ideal for this. Silk is best used to treat fine lines, commonly seen on the upper lip. Hope this helps.