Does this look like one full syringe of Restylane Silk was used in lips? (Photo)

The image on the left is my lips on Tuesday before getting one syringe of Restylane Silk injected in my lips. It is now Friday, 3 days later, and while I do see a difference in my top lip, the overall effect is not as full as I expected. (I've also read that swelling continues for up to a week--and I'm worried this'll go down more.) Does this look like the standard results of one syringe of Silk? Were my expectations too high? Will it decrease further in the next few days?

Lip Volume

Setting realistic expectations is key when considering different products for lip enhancement. Restylane Silk creates the most subtle enhancement of all the lip fillers. There is a noticeable improvement in your lip volume, however, if you'd like a greater volume increase I would recommend revisiting you doctor to discuss treatment with Restylane or Juvederm. Best of luck!

Columbus Physician

Restylane Silk Lips

Thank you for the question. Your before and after photos do show noticeable improvement. You may want to consider a thicker filler next time you have your lips injected if you desire more volume. I prefer Restylane or Juvederm Ultra to achieve this. It is important to discuss your expectations with your injector prior to treatment. I always recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon who performs a high volume of injectable treatments. Hope this helps and good luck!

Does this look like one full syringe of Restylane Silk was used in lips?

Hello Cyrano,

Your lips do show an improvement from pretreatment.  Restylane Silk is very nice at improving the texture and appearance of the lip.  Because it is a thin product, it doesn't do the best at adding a lot of volume.  For more volume I prefer using Juvederm.  If you want more volume, you will need another syringe of product.  

I hope that helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

I appreciate your question.

Your photos show a very nice, subtle, natural ,improved result.  If you want further enhancement , another syringe is needed.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Restylane Silk for Lip Augmentation

In my opinion, your photos show a noticeable, yet still natural-looking result! You may have expected a more dramatic difference, however you most likely just need more filler to achieve the result you envisioned. Keep in mind that a syringe of filler is a fraction of a teaspoon in volume, therefore the use of multiple syringes is not at all uncommon. This also means placement is of utmost importance to achieve the best results!

When consulting on filler, I always like to let my patients know that additional product may be necessary upon follow-up. When injecting filler, particularly in delicate areas like the lips and eyes, it is wise to start conservatively rather than injecting multiple syringes of product all at once. This practice minimizes swelling and ensures the comfort of the patient. In addition, if adjustment IS necessary, it is easier to simply add more filler than to try and dissolve an overabundance of what was already injected.

After three days, the majority of swelling should have resolved, however give your filler another week to fully settle in. If after two weeks you still desire more volume, return to your doctor for more filler. Best of luck!

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane silk for lips

Thank your sharing your photos and experience.  I would recommend that if you want to stick with non-invasive options, that you consider Restylane or Juvederm to provide a plumper lip. I would wait another week before proceeding.
If you are open to a small in-office surgical procedure, then a lip lift can be a very rewarding procedure that will help evert your upper lip and you will find this can make a dramatic improvement and decrease amount of filler needed.
I would recommend visiting with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who can discuss these options in more detail.

Lip Fillers and Restylane Silk

Restylane Silk is a lovely product for the lips as you don't overfill the lips. It sounds like you just need more product to have the results that you want.  Best, Dr. Green

Fillers into Lips -- Use cannulas, go slow.

Most people need more than one syringe, but its better to do small amounts over time this gives a subtle less swollen look.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Lip Filler Concerns

This is a very common concern of patients who undergo filler treatment with a small amount of product (i.e. one syringe).  While there is no such thing as the standard result for a single syringe, one can expect some enhancement of lip shape with the first syringe of filler, especially if there is a very small volume present to begin with.  After three days, most swelling should have resolved, so if you desire a further result, I would recommend returning to your board-certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist for further injections.

Jeffrey Ridha, MD
Saratoga Springs Plastic Surgeon

Underfilled lips

Hello, well I have to say that a patient's results have to do not only with the product used but with the expectations set forth at the initial consultation.  For example, if you'd said I want very large lips, from where you started, I'd probably offer you Juvederm to start, since I find it helps build volume better.  But, aside from that, the next thing that comes into play is the technique.  It's easy for lips to eat up volume, especially if it's injected in a certain way, and especially for Restylane Silk.  Silk should be injected in the submucosal plane in order to provide more lip show... most of the time.  Be careful with simply buying another syringe.  Make sure it's the right one based on the results you want. 

Cain R. Linville, MD