Lipo on the flanks during Tummy Tuck. Why are there no incision holes on the back?

I had a tummy tuck in September with lipo on the flanks. But there are no visible holes whatsoever on my back near the flanks. Do some doctors perform flank lipo from the same tummy tuck incision of the lower abdomen? My flanks don't seem to look much different than they did originally.

Liposuction Incisions

It is possible to perform liposuction to the flanks through the lateral aspect of a Tummy Tuck incision. I recommend that you ask your Plastic Surgeon about the specifics of your procedure. Swelling post- Liposuction can last many months so you may not see improvement for some time yet.

All the best

Lipo flanks

This is a great question and often unasked question.  Liposuction cannula are often able to reach in very distant regions using incisions remote from that area.  Using the incision already created by a tummy tuck is a common way that we, as plastic surgeons, can utilize and camoflouge incisions that are already created for another reason.  There are, as in most things in surgery, limitations to a technique.  You should ask questions for anything that does not make sense to you in order for you to fully understand what will happen during and after a procedure.

Tito Vasquez, MD, FACS
Southport Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and Flank Liposuction

Thank you for your question.  If you elected to have liposuction of your flanks at the time of your abdominoplasty it is likely that your surgeon used the lateral aspect of your tummy tuck incision so as not to leave you with any additional scarring.  As far as your results are concerned, you are still very early in the healing and recovery process and it is very possible that your results are still masked by the swelling that patients will experience post-operatively.  It can take 6-12 months for all of this post-operative swelling to subside but any questions regarding your progress should be addressed with your operating surgeon at a follow up appointment.  I hope you find this helpful and best of luck on your recovery!

No back scars

while you were on the table in the supine position, your surgeon as many do likely just performed the flank lipo from the TT incision, so you would not have any additional scars and it gives surgeons plenty of access for the flank lipo. IF you were looking for more of a circumferential result, you would have been paying for lipo of your Back as this involves either rolling you side to side on the table or flipping you over into a prone position, this IS NOT part of routine TT+flank lipo. 

Lipo and tummy tuck

Yes, many will use the lateral most aspect of the tummy tuck incision to perform flank/waist liposuction at the same time as the tummy tuck.

Flank liposuction from tummy tuck incision

Typically the flanks, to an extent, can be addressed from the tummy tuck incision.   

For the lower back and flanks to really treat these areas aggressively you need to be either turned on your side or laying on your tummy which if that were part of the plan your surgeon would have informed you.  Advice: politely ask your surgeon about how the flanks were treated. You may still have some swelling this early post op as a reason your not seeing a difference.

Best Dr. L

Andre Levesque, MD

Where are my liposuction incisions?

Thanks for your interesting question. I'm sure that your PS did the lipo through your tummytuck incision which is how I usually do it. The tummytuck incision provides great access to the flanks so no additional incisions are necessary. I can't comment about your results but if you have any questions then I would see your PS to discuss. Best regards. 

Incisions forLipo on the flanks during Tummy Tuck.

Yes, depending on exactly what area is being treated with liposuction surgery, it is often possible to perform the liposuctioning part of the procedure through the tummy tuck incision line.  Of course, your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to precise/relevant information. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.