Open incision after seroma. Is this normal 6 weeks post op? (Photo)

I had a seroma a few weeks ago. My surgery as 6 weeks ago. I now have a golf ball size hole in my tummy that I am packing twice daily and it is getting bigger. See photo. How long is this going to take to heal and is this normal

Delayed healing is a nuisance but this should get better!

Hello-

Sorry you have had the incision open up after your tummy tuck and seroma. It should heal in over time, and it sounds like your wound care is appropriate, but of course, you need to follow the advice of your plastic surgeon.

Good luck.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Incision issue

You now have an open wound which you will need to have evaluated person by your surgeon. In many cases, local wound care is often all that is needed to get it to close.  Best of luck.

Open incision after seroma. Is this normal 6 weeks post op?

Thank you for your inquiry.

The open wound you have developed will heal nicely over time.   It can happen due to the seroma or the sutures dissolving too soon.   The healing process can take from several weeks to a couple of months.  

You mentioned you were packing the wound daily.   Be sure to only lightly pack the wound.  The biggest mistake patients make is to pack the wound tightly and that slows the wound from contracting and healing.

These type of wounds heal fine in a few weeks and usually look normal after 6 to 12 months. Follow up with your surgeon. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Wound after tummy tuck

Thanks for your inquiry.  This wound can take several weeks to heal.  Please be seen by your plastic surgeon regularly during the healing process.

Open incision after seroma. Is this normal 6 weeks postop?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and I am sorry to hear of your seroma issues.  Your body will need at least 6-8 weeks to recover as it will fill in the seroma and separated tissues from the inside-out. I agree with the packing advice but be sure to see your surgeon frequently to ensure you heal quickly.  Best wishes.