IPL for acne - effect on beard?

I Got ipl done for Acne on my earlier today, without knowing a lot about it. I know I should have researched a bit more. I'm 21 years old and don't have a full beard at all, but I have some very light hairs on my chin and upper lip. Will I ever be able to grow a beard now?

IPL effects on beard

Thank you for your question sdjsdj. I understand your concern. IPL is a great treatment for facial rejuvenation. It can also be used to treat acne. There is the possibility of patchy hair loss in an area where an IPL treatment is performed. For this reason we discuss this with men prior to the treatment. In some cases the hair bearing areas are avoided. When treating acne specific settings are used and these settings generally do not lead to as much hair loss as when settings are used for pigment or redness, and certainly for permanent hair reduction.

Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

IPL effects on beard

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

IPL and facial hair

Hi there, thanks for your question. IPL can indeed reduce facial hair. Typically, if men do not want any hair loss, I would just do IPL over the non-bearded areas of the face only. However, you mention that your hairs are light. Did you mean light-colored (or "light" as in, "thin")? If you have red, blond or very light brown hair, there may not be much of a hair loss effect, as the IPL requires pigment in order to damage the hair follicle. Hope that helps.

IPL and facial hair

IPL and facial hair

IPL is known to remove hair.  In fact, it was one of the earliest treatments for hair removal.

We tend to discuss this with men receiving IPL treatments on the face so they are aware of this possibility.  Usually we tend to use alternative treatments on men for this very reason.

IPL and facial hair

IPL beard area

it is always possible to get patchy hair loss on beard area with IPL as it is a broad light that targets many different things including hair. This is possible after a single treatment.  Men should be made aware of this prior to treatment. 

Roni Munk, MD
Montreal Dermatologic Surgeon

IPL beard area

Roni Munk, MD
Montreal Dermatologic Surgeon

IPL and acne

One of the concerns with IPL in men is in the beard area. You should check with your physician to find out which wavelength was used. This is one of the reasons why I prefer V-Beam for men.  Best, Dr. Green

IPL and acne