How to correct the mounds around the sides of my mouth, which are much more prominent on my left side. (photo)

I am 28 now. When I started college, I gained 15 pounds, and I noticed the mounds for the first time shortly after I lost the weight a few years later. They have become more noticeable over time, and though my weight tends to fluctuate within a ten pound range, it does not seem to impact the appearance of the mounds. I think that they may be due to asymmetrical facial sagging, as I have noticed that at rest the left half of my mouth is closed while the right side is slightly open.

Asymmetric Peri-oral Mounds

I would recommend not trying to alter these mounds but instead I would blend surrounding structures to help camouflage the mounds. Therefore,subtle filling above,below,and lateral to the mound will help to  diminish the appearance of the mounds.

Ridgewood Oculoplastic Surgeon

Perioral Mounds

Very small cannula microliposuction done from small incisions inside the mouth is the definite treatment for these small fat collections by the sides of the mouth.

How to correct the mounds around the sides of my mouth, which are much more prominent on my left side.

You are a beautiful young 28 yo woman.  There is nothing that i would offer you at this point because what you are noticing and highlighting is not something that is a big prominent part of your face.  Your lips are nice and full and have a nice shape to them.  Although you notice this, it is not something that readily jumps out.  For this reason I would tell you to not chase this.  You have other beautiful attractive features on your face that you should focus on.  Good luck
Dr Vasisth  

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Volumizing Fillers Work Well To Treat Early Jowl Formation

From the photos, it appears that you are demonstrating early sagging and jowl formation in the region around the mouth. A close examination shows some volume loss at the lower poles of the cheeks, which appears to be contributing in large measure to the problem.

A bit of volume repletion in that area is likely to give sufficient lift to the area immediately below around the mouth to straighten the angles of the mouth and mitigate or entirely eliminate the incipient jowls. If not, the addition of a small amount of volumizer injected immediately below and within the mouth angles themselves would likely do so. In my Upper East Side Manhattan practice, I would opt for Restylane Lyft for these purposes. (In my Israel satellite facility, where a far greater number of regulatory agency approved volumizing fillers are available, I would opt for Hyaluronica 2.)

You would be advised to seek consultation with a board certified aesthetic physician.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

"Mounds" that need treatment

You are having the very beginning of facial aging with a loss of skin laxity and sagging.  A combination of fillers to lift the mid-face area and Thermage to tighten the skin would be the best combination to treat you.  Best, Dr. Green

Weight loss effects face too

From the pictures you are showing, it looks like you have drooping on the sides of your mouth due to diminished cheek volume, from weight loss.  This is easily fixed with Voluma.  I recommend you see a Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon who is skilled with injections and fillers. 

Marla M. Klein, MD
Lake Oswego Dermatologic Surgeon

Lumps in corners of mouth

This are may be fatty tissue or muscle.  If it is fat, it might be favorably treated with liposuction. Best to be seen in person.

Facial Asymmetry

Hard to say for sure without physical exam but your lips appear fine to me, attractive and full. The fullness you describe just lateral to the corners of your mouth may be well defined areas of fat, highly amenable to micro-liposuction. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD