Which filler gives the most natural lip augmentation results - Juvederm or Restylane?

I'm african american and my lips aren't small but they lack plumpness/fullness. My upper lip is relatively thin and my lips are "flat". I'd like sexier and poutier lips. Which filler gives the most natural results in younger patients?

Restylane or Juvederm

These two fillers have many similar qualities, but I prefer Juvederm for the lips because of its softness, or Beletero.  

Options for a Plump Pucker

Hi there, browneyed. Different fillers yield different results on different patients. JUVÉDERM, Restylane, and Restylane's cousin, Perlane, are all hyaluronic acid (HA)-based fillers that may be used in the lips. Although they have the same active ingredient, there are subtle differences between them, mostly related to the sizes of their HA particles. Your doctor will evaluate your lips and make a sound recommendation for you based on your anatomy. Ultimately based on the product selected, the treatment site identified, the quantity of product used, and the skilled and artistic eye of your injector, you should receive a natural-looking and beautiful result. Be sure to seek out a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon who has plenty of experience with lip augmentation. For a truly natural result, don't rule out fat grafting, either. This procedure uses your own fat (typically taken from somewhere such as your abdomen or thigh) and transplants it to the lips. Invest in a consultation to obtain a plan and assess the talent of your injector before getting started. Best of luck!

Kenrick A. Spence, MD, FACS

Lip Augmentation

It's not as much about the product as about the artistry and experience of the injector.  I prefer Juvederm in the lips and feel it lasts longer with a very natural correction (Ultra plus when I am looking for more volume and Ultra for just definition)  but what is really essential is that you seek out an experienced injector who can discuss their vision for your lips.  

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Best filler for lips

There is no "best" filler for lips. I have some patients who love restylane, while others prefer juvederm, while others love Perlane. My general preference is to use Juvederm because it is a little softer and more natural feeling in the lips. Most importantly make sure to have an expert physician injecting you such as a cosmetic dermatologist.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Best fillers for lip augmentation

Juvederm, Restylane or Belotero are the best options for lip augmentation. The differences between each of the hyaluronic acid gel products include particle size, total concentration, and the extent of cross linking. One of the most frequently discussed characteristics of hyaluronic acid gels is its elasticity, represented by the symbol G’ (G prime). A gel with a higher G’ is better able to resist changes in shape and is described as being firmer, harder or more elastic than a gel with a lower G’. Another important property of hyaluronic acid gels is its viscosity, represented by the symbol G’’ (G double prime). A gel with a higher G’’ is thicker than a gel with a lower G’’. Juvederm and Belotero have lower G’ and G’’ than Restylane. This means that they are softer, less viscous gels which is more ideal for lips. However, please remember, your results depend upon the skill and experience of your physician injector.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Well-performed Silikon-1000 microdroplet injections may lead to permanent, natural looking lip augmentation.

We prefer Silikon-1000, an off-label filler for permanent results, for lip augmentation in our practice. Your results with Silikon-1000 may be more subtle-looking than an HA filler.

Hope this is helpful for you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers for lips

I actually use Perlane most of the time and get nice results that last longer than Restylane or juvederm ultra.

Lip Augmentation

Lip augmentation is an art and choosing the right filler depends on the shape of the lip, the face, and the fullness of the lip naturally.  All of the fillers are good.  However, choosing the right filler for the correct patient is what makes a lip look fuller and natural.  There are some patients who have naturally thin lips and I only use Belotero. Some patients have fuller lips and want a poutier lip and I might decide on Restylane or Juvederm.  The filler that I choose is done in conjunction with the patient at the time of the consultation where the expectations and benefits are discussed.  For the best cosmetic results please choose a board certified dermatologist with experience in facial fillers.

Which filler gives the most natural lip augmentation results - #Juvederm or #Restylane?

Both of these fillers work very nicely for lip augmentation. The most important variable is the skill and experience of your injector. You will want to review before and after photos of your physician injector's patients prior to undergoing lip injections to ensure that they can create beautiful, natural and balanced results. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Very similar. More important is the doctor injecting the filler!

Juvederm and Restylane are both excellent if injected properly.  Both are hyaluronic acid with similar feel and duration.  The most important consideration that you will have to make is the doctor injecting the product so that you have a better natural look and not a fake and artificial one.  Good luck!