Is there any way I can get my face shortened?

I rlly don't like my face... I have mental problems because everyday when I look in to the mirror I am dissatisfied. One thing is clear I got to get my nose done. But I also want a shorter face and a sharper jaw. I saw them doing something that way in Korea. I want to know if that is possible ? Because I don't want to look stupid after. But I would risk anything to finally be happy...

Doctor Answers 13

Facial shortening

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You might want to consider orthognathic surgery.  Visit with a plastic surgeon with oral maxillo facial training for some ideas.

Contact an orthognathic surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I advise contacting an orthognathic surgeon for shortening of the face. Because you are also considering rhinoplasty, I suggest addressing the shape of your face before proceeding with the nose surgery. The nose is an essential part of providing facial harmony and any adjustments to the face, major or minor, can throw off the balance. Therefore, once you are satisfied with the shape of your face, a rhinoplasty surgeon can best determine what needs to be done to ensure that all of your facial features are in harmony. Best of luck!

Jennifer Levine, MD
New York Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Facial shortening

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question and photos.  You should seek the opinion of a maxillofacial surgeon to discuss shortening your face.  

All the best,

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Is there any way I can get my face shortened?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question!  Consult with a surgeon well-versed in orthgnathic surgery. S/he will be able to assist with measurements and discuss various options with you. While shortening of the midface for vertical maxillary excess is possible, consideration of addressing your jaw itself at the same time is also warranted. Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD
Scottsdale Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Long Face options

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Dear JeremyBrendon:

Thanks for sharing your photos. These straight-on photos are helpful but do not provide the full "picture" of your concerns. 

There are 2 types of options for you which maybe helpful.
  • Craniofacial / Orthognathic surgery which will provide more balance in the cosmetic facial features and maintain proper alignment of your teeth and mandibular joint for correct speech, eating and appearance. 
  • Cosmetic enhancements such as fillers, cheek and chin implants

Consider discussing your concerns with a very qualified, Board Certified:
  • Oral-Maxillo-Facial Surgeon who also performs Facial Cosmetic procedures or
  • Plastic Surgeon, ENT Facial Surgeon with significant Craniofacial or Orthognathic experience.
This process will take several consultations in order to understand the different perspectives in care, treatment options and complexity. 

I wish you the best with your endeavor and hope for your success in reaching your happiness!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 103 reviews

Is there any way I can get my face shortened?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The surgery you referred to in Korea is also done her in the USA Contact the Cranio Facial Surgery Department at a University medical centers near you.

Fred Suess, MD (retired)
San Francisco Plastic Surgeon

Workup for a potentially long face.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The face is sometimes aesthetically shortened which is very complicated. A complete orthodontic work up with proper radiographic's is a place to start. Afterwards, a visit to a surgeon who specializes in orthognathic surgery will inform you about the complexities of this endeavor.

Long face

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You have verticle maxillary excess and a impaction maxillary osteotomy appears as seen on your photos to be appropriate. You would need study models with dental impressions, and cephalometric x-ray as part of your work up. This is called orthognathic surgery. You   would need  to wear braces for a time after surgery and the surgery is done with a orthdontist doing  a large paart of the workup. The nasal surgery would be best done afterwards since the base width of the nose would widen after shortening the verticle maxillary excess of bone. Very exciting and dramatic  results generally  result.

Michael Eisemann M.D.

Houston, Texas

Facial Shortening

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
True facial shortening almost always involves a vertical reduction genioplasty. Since you have a very narrow/deficient jaw angles, jaw angle augmentation would help widen the back part of your jaw/lower face. These two changes together would create the best facial shortening effect that you can achieve. The potential change that could occur would be illustrated by computer imaging.

Shorter face?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Based on your photos it is impossible to give you exact answer. However, you look like someone who could consider ortognatic surgery? Simultaneous surgery of the upper and lower jaws may shorten you face and improve overall facial balance. A complex cephalometric analysis will help.

You should consult a craniofacial plastic surgeon or an experienced maxillofacial (oral) surgeon in you area to analyze your condition and give you options of treatment. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 22 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.