Is it common and safe to go back to work 10 days after a tummy tuck procedure?

I am having a tummy tuck procedure done soon, but I just started a new job. Is it safe to return to work 10 days after the procedure? I have a desk job.

Back to work after tummy tuck

It depends on the type of work. No strenous activity for at least 3 weeks.

Returning to work after a tummy tuck?...

It is safe to return to work ten days after a tummy tuck just as long as you are not doing anything too strenuous. A good rule of thumb is that if what you are doing is causing pain or increased swelling then you should back off. Be sure to follow the instructions of your surgeon as well.

Tummy Tuck Recovery

This all depends on your healing process and your line of work. Generally 2 weeks post operatively, patients can return to non-strenuous activity, keeping in mind of course depending on how well you are healing. Sitting for long periods of time can be problematic as the seated position does add pressure to your abdomen. Regular follow ups with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon can determine how well you are doing and when you can return to work. I usually recommend no strenuous activity or heavy lifting for 4-6 weeks. Hoping this helps. James Lee

James Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

When can you return to work after a tummy tuck?

Every patient is unique, of course, and everyone recovers from a procedure a little differently. Generally speaking, we tell our tummy tuck patients that they can return to work around two weeks after the procedure. 10 days certainly isn't unheard of, but it might be pushing it.

Before making any decisions, speak with your plastic surgeon. Follow his or her recommendations and make sure you take the time you need to take in order to fully recover.

Michael F. McGuire, MD, FACS (in memoriam)

Returning to Work after Abdominoplasty

Thank you for your great question!  In my opinion, your ability to return to work after your procedure will depend on several factors.  I find that patients can have slightly variable recovery times and pain thresholds, which is completely normal.  Some patients require pain medication longer than others after abdominoplasty.  Please keep in mind that you should not be driving to work if you continue to be on pain medication (you should be off pain medication for 24 hours before driving).  Any drains which may be placed during the surgery are typically removed within 5 days, but occasionally need to stay in longer due to increased drain output.  I recommend that my patients wear an abdominal binder and avoid bending or heavy lifting for 6 weeks after the procedure.  Since you have a desk job, this should not prevent you from returning to work in 10 days.  Another consideration is the extremely rare possibility of complications, such as infection or wound healing problems, which could possibly delay your ability to return to work.  I typically recommend that my patients plan on 14 days after abdominoplasty before returning to work, with the understanding that the actual time frame may be more or less, depending on their individual situation.  In short, you may well be able to return to work in 10 days, but that may vary depending on your individual recovery time.  I would advise you to discuss the specifics of your situation with your plastic surgeon well in advance of your surgery date so that you can follow his or her advice and plan accordingly.  Best of luck!

Off work

I generally tell people about 2 weeks. you may still have drains in at that point, so you may want to hide them

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Returning to Work

Thank you for your question. Typically, 10-14 days is recommended to return back to work with limited activity. I also advise patients no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 6 weeks following surgery. I encourage speaking with your board certified plastic surgeon for individualized advice. 

Alfred Sofer, MD, FACS
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck - back to work at 10 days?

Thank you for your question about your tummy tuck.
  • Please ask your plastic surgeon -
  • Return to work after a tummy tuck depends on many factors -
  • If muscle will be repaired, if Exparel will be used, your health, your commute, your job and demands at home such having small children.
  • Ten days is early for most tummy tuck - find out in advance so you can plan and not lose your new job!
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Tummy Tuck - Return to work?

Thank you for your question.  Most patients are able to return to a desk job ten days following their tummy tuck. however, you will not be able to perform any heavy lifting or strenuous physical activity. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon prior to your procedure. Hope this helps and good luck.

Thank you for your question.  In my practice, patients go back to work about 1-2 weeks after the tummy tuck procedure with restrictions.  It's important that you do not engage in any strenuous activity or heavy lifting when you first return to work.  Be sure to go over these questions with your surgeon for further guidance.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS