What is causing dark lines on my lips that looks like lip liner? (photo)

About a year & a half ago I started to notice dark lines around my lips - it looks like lip liner. It's on the lips itself, not above or below. I have been to a number of dermatologists and they all say it's from the sun (I live in a tropical climate) but I always use sunscreen on my lips and stay out of the sun as much as possible. It seems to be getting worse. I read online that it might be a result of stomach and digestion problem? I have been suffering from gastro problems for a while.

Eectrolysis induced melasma of the lips

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Sometimes, electrolysis can exacerbate such melasma in this distribution of the lips. 

Melasma needs long term commitment with skin care and avoidance of skin factors such as sun exposure (Spectrase Sun Block) which has wide UV spectrum and SPF 30+ protection. 

Daily good habits with topicals may well help you chieve your goals with a good skin system like the Brightening Kit from KareSkin (see link). You may want to start with Melarase and Pigmentation Correction Complex. Scler-X from another vendor is for PIH relief (see link). 

Melarase AM is non hydroquinone based and allowed for use in the EU and UK.

Best

H Karamanoukian MD FACS

Lip Q switch laser

This discoloration may be genetic. I would recommend Melarase PM + Q switch laser with an expert. 

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Probable melasma- does it worsen with UV exposure?

Melasma can not be completely cured, however effective treatment are possible. This is because your skin is extremely sensitive to UV and even the smallest amount can stimulate your pigment cells to produce colour. The mainstay of treatment is strict UV protection- hats, sunglasses and SPF every 4 hours. I prefer to use a combination of creams and laser for melasma. Hydroquinone can be used (5-8%), along with vitamin A creams. I usually start my patients on laser (low dose Q switch or Picosure) a few weeks after they commence on creams. In some cases I combine glycolic AHA peels, and in other cases I use a tablet called Tranexamic acid to help.  All the best, Dr Davin Lim. Laser, surgical and aesthetic dermatologist. Brisbane, Australia