Duration of chemical peel left on face ?

Hi, many a times when I got chemical peels at the derm office, they left the peels overnight for me - and I really saw a visible difference. So I started using 10% glycol acid at home - overnight with great results. Now I want to switch up the percentage to maybe 50%. Should I leave that too overnight ? Thanks

Chemical Peel

Thank you for your question. Chemical peels should be performed by a board certified facial plastic surgeon. You can explore a range of chemical peels - light, medium and deep - based upon your need and your reaction to the peels. Always consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Duration of chemical peel left on face ? New York City NY

Hi Kanag,

I do not recommend that you perform any glycolic acid peel over 10% at home.  To be honest, unfortunately, I have had a few patients who have burned themselves with 10% glycolic acid peels.  The issue is that you may burn your skin and can even cause permanent scarring.  I would recommend that you seek help from a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon.  You will pay more, however you will get consistent expert results.  Good Luck, Dr. Downie.

Jeanine B. Downie, MD
Montclair Dermatologic Surgeon

Chemical Peels at Home

Thanks for your question.  Due to the nature and risks of chemical peels, I would never recommend that you attempt anything over 10% peels at home.  You may pay a little more for professional care near you at a board certified plastic surgery, facial plastic surgery or dermatology office, but the benefits far outweigh the risks.  Best of luck, Doc Halliday

Douglas Halliday, PhD, MD
Syracuse Facial Plastic Surgeon

50% Glycolic Acid Peel at Home?

Please don't experiment with 50% GA on your face at home. You are playing with fire! An uncontrolled burn may cause pigmentation issues, textural changes, and scarring. There are many trained professionals who perform chemical peels. Best wishes!!

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

Chemical Peels

Chemical peels should definitely not be left on your skin overnight. They can cause burns and irritation and have significant problems. The medical chemical peels done in a doctor's office are only left on for a few minutes since the grade of acid is much stronger and more beneficial.  Best, Dr. Green

Thanks for your query. Glycolic peel 50% is a medium depth peel and  should not be left overnight as they may cause burning and itching on the skin.You should ideally get a peel done from a dermatologist only.

All The Best

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon