Is chemical peel advised for pigmentation?

I am 47 years old and under treatment for SLE since the last 5 years. My face has a lot of pigmentation and uneven skin color. My rheumatologist referred me to a dermatologist who advised that a medication I am taking for lupus- Planquinil could be causing that and advised me to go for a chemical peel. Will that help with my pigmentation and skin tone? And is it safe ?

Thanks for your query. Chemical peels are generally safe but makes your skin sensitive and if you are already applying steroids then it might not be a very good option  but if it is advised by your doctor then you can go for it. Chemical peels lighten the pigmentation and adds glow on your face. Hope it helps.

All The Best

India Plastic Surgeon

Chemical Peel

Thank you for your question. I suggest you next consult in person with a board certified facial plastic surgeon. In our office, patients have an aesthetic skincare consultation where our aestheticians will help you decide the correct peel for you depending on your skin's type, condition, health profile and desired result. Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

A Series of In-Office Superficial Peels & Regular At-home Prescription Bleaching Agent Effective For Diminishing Pigmentation

First, I am sorry to hear that you are dealing with SLE and hope you are under adequate control at this time. As to the treatment of blotchy, uneven, unwanted pigmentation, I have had over three decades of experience successfully employing a combined approach of regular, at-home use of topical, presription bleaching agents and in-office superficial peels to improve and in many cases suppress the dyspigmentation problem. So long as approved by the treating rheumatologist (which in decades of practice has not as yet been an issue), prescription topicals include high concentration hydroquinone, arbutin, kojic acid and glycyrrhizic acid. In-office superficial peels include high concentration glycolic acid, salicylic acid, Jessner's Solution and concentrations of TCA ranging from 10%-35% performed as an initial series of four to six treatments, spaced at four to six week intervals. Be sure that you are consulting with a board certified aesthetic dermatologist with experience and expertise in treating pigmentary problems in persons with underlying collagen-vascular (rheumatologic) disorders. Best of luck.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD