Can massaging of Restylane cause eye blurriness?

I had Restylane under my eyes six days ago by a board certified plastic surgeon. Til now, I've had no post-procedure issues. I was advised to massage any nodules at one week, which I did this morning. Eight hrs later, my right eye became increasingly bloodshot. I also started feeling slight pressure and episodically blurry/milky vision. My fear is that massaging caused the filler to migrate into the eye socket/eye, putting pressure against a nerve or blood supply. Likely/Opinions?

While filler may mistakenly be injected in a blood vessel during treatment, it's not likely to enter a blood vessel days after

Thank you for your question. You received Restylane injections under your eye, and were advised to massage any lumps or nodules should they appear. After massaging some lumps, eight hours later you developed bloodshot eyes and blurred vision. You’re worried some of the material may have gotten into a vessel and affected your eyes.

I can certainly assist you with this concern. To give you a little information about myself — I am a Board-certified cosmetic surgeon and a Fellowship-trained oculofacial plastic and reconstructive surgeon, practicing in Manhattan and Long Island for over 20 years. As an oculofacial plastic surgeon,I was first trained in ophthalmology before receiving additional training in advanced surgery of the eyelids.

When injectables are performed around the eyes, it is possible that at the time the injection the material can be pushed into vessels where it shouldn’t be. However, if the material is already in place, it is unlikely that the material will end up inside the vessel and subsequently affect the eye.

A very common issue in the medical field and in clinical studies is a temporal association, or what I refer to as a correlation–causation error. This is a situation wherein people interpret event A as a direct cause of an event B; or try to connect two events that happen next to each other as directly related, which is not always the case.
The sudden onset of reddened eyes and blurred vision is definitely a concern to any physician with an ophthalmology background. I strongly recommend that you see an ophthalmologist. While there certainly is some value in sharing your concerns on a public forum such as this, a direct one-on-one meeting with the doctor is more advisable. It may be possible that this is just a simple case of conjunctivitis, but without a proper physical examination, you don’t want to make that assumption. Meet with an ophthalmologist right away, get full examination to ensure that eye health is not compromised, and then address any secondary concerns.

I hope that was helpful and I wish you the best of luck!

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Dark Circles, Eyelid Wrinkles/Bags Treatment -- Restylane or Belotero with Cannulas, Clear+Brilliant, Eclipse Micropen, Viva

Fillers under the eyes need some time to heal, I suggest if you are unhappy please reverse the filler or consider an alternative technique for injection.  Best, Dr. Emer.

This is highly unlikely to be related to the filler injection. However, call your plastic surgeon to discuss. You should also be evaluated by an Ophthalmologist to figure out what is going on. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane - visual changes after massage

Thank you for asking about your Restylane.

Please contact your plastic surgeon and see an ophthalmologist
It is not normal to have sudden visual changes.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Hello NoVaFace,

The symptoms you are having would not be related to the filler.  The nerve that provides for your vision is located at the very back of the eye socket, so a simple massage could never get the product even close to it to affect your vision.  The same is true for the blood supply to the eyeball.  It sounds like you are developing an eye infection.  I'd recommend you see your eye care specialist for evaluation.  You should also contact your injector so he or she is aware of what is going on, but this sounds like something completely unrelated.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can massaging Restylane in the tear trough do damage to the eye?

Thank you for your question. Your symptoms probably have nothing to do with massaging the Restylane. See an experienced Oculoplastic Surgeon for comprehensive evaluation if you continue to have issues. 
Good luck,

Bloodshot Eyes after Restylane

Without examining you it is difficult to say why your eye became bloodshot. It is possible that the act of rubbing your eye caused some irritation of your eyeball. It is unlikely due to migration of the restylane.

Call your plastic surgeon to discuss and if it doesn't get better, or if you develop any vision problems, see an Ophthalmologist.

David Schlessinger, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon