Cheek filler made tear troughs worse? I'm a 30 y/o female. I had 1 ml of Juvederm injected with a cannula into each cheek.

For more definition. It was placed it in a way which was supposed to help soften my tear troughs and give me a tiny lift to my cheekbones.The 1st day it looked great and I could see a big difference in both my cheekbones and my tear troughs. It is now four days later and my cheekbones look very good. However, my tear troughs look deeper and more pronounced then before. Could this still be swelling?I also had botox around my eyes at the same time and hoping that didn't change the results somehow.

I encourage you to give it more time.  It could still be swelling, but it is too early to tell.  If after two weeks it hasn't improved return to your injector for an evaluation.  Hyaluronidase can be injected to dissolve the product if necessary.

Thank you for your query. You should just wait for few more days as Juvederm takes time to swell up and Botox also takes around a week to show its full effect. If you still feel it’s not the full effect as you want you can top it up any time. Hope It helps.

All The Best

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Tear trough

Thank you for your question. Since it has only been four days since you got your injections I would give it some more time for all the swelling to resolve before you can determine the final outcome of your injections. It can take up to two weeks for all swelling to resolve. At this time if you are still unhappy with your result I would return to your injector for further assessment and treatment. 

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist

Too Soon To Tell

It's hard to tell without a picture and it's a bit too soon for your final results. It could be swelling, however if it is that the tear trough area needs to be treated, I recommend the use of either Voluma and Belotero for this area. I suggest to consult with an expert in facial contouring. Best, Dr. Emer

Juvederm into cheeks to restore tear troughs....

Thank you for your question.  Tear trough filler is one of the most technically difficult areas to fill properly.  Often times you can correct the tear troughs by restoring volume to the mid face without actually having to fill the tear troughs.  Likely you are going to get excellent results, but need to wait 2 weeks to see the final results after all the swelling has dissipated.  If at 2 weeks you are still dissatisfied it is best to follow up with your board certified Dermatologist/PS who injected you for further evaluation and management.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon