Can I touch up up my Juvederm ultra lips with a cheaper/ different filler such as Restylane?

I got lip fillers done for the first time in March, specifically the one I read had the best results which was Juvederm Ultra plus. I am now wanting to just touch up a bit and may consider half a syringe which only certain brands make, so I am wondering if my results will be compromised if i go with a different brand or if i should stick with Juvederm again and if it needs to be as specific as the original I got? Thank you!

Hi, I have performed many lip augmentation procedures using dermal fillers or lip implants for over 30 years.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, the upper lip should be approximately 75 % the size of the lower lip for the lips to appear balanced. The lips can be augmented using a dermal filler or a Permalip implant for a permanent enhancement.  You can mix various dermal fillers without an issue.

Dermal filers and lip implants offer far more reliable volume to augment the lips than permanent fillers or fat injections that are also associated with increased, unwanted, side effects.

Hope this helps.

Using different brands of Filler

Thank you for your question. Both products are hyaluronic acid and I have used both interchangeably without any problems. I hope that answers your question.

Lip touch up

Thank you for your question. Yes, there would no problem with you using a different Hyaluronic acid filler, such as Restylane to touch up your lips after you have had Juvederm Ultra placed in your lips. 

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist

Restylane after Juvederm ultra for lips.

In my opinion there would be no problem to switch to Restylane after Juvederm You may experience more swelling from the Restylane than Juvederm. Thank you for your question. Please consult a professional in your area. 

Best Regards

Switch Away! Restylane is Great for Lips and Can Be Used In Combination.

Restylane is a great filler to use for lip augmentation and it's o.k. to switch. You can even consider lip implants or fat for a permanent solution. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Hello, and thanks for your question. Yes, it is OK to switch to the Restylane line. I particularly like Restylane Silk for lips, but it tends to induce a bit more short-term swelling than other fillers. In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with an expert. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Using Restylane after Juvederm in lips

in my experience, I have not seen any problems when switching between different brands of HA fillers such as Juvederm and Restylane.  Restylane is a stiffer filler and tends to provide more structural support.  Juvederm is a softer filler which tends to absorb more water and cause more of a full or swollen look.  

Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Touching up lips with a different filler

This is perfectly all right. I don't consider Restylane a "cheaper brand". I understand that it comes in 1/2 syringes though. There is no interaction between the 2 products contrary to what has been written by another physician when answering this question.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Juvederm Lips & Coming Soon, Volbella

Thank you for your question. I would touch-up with Juvederm Ultra Plus again since you had success in March.   If your lips do not need the full amount in one syringe, there are often other areas on the face that may benefit from Juvederm, as well. Your injecting physician could give you a consult regarding these other areas. Soon to come on the market is Juvederm Volbella for lips and that will come in a half syringe - This may be a future option.

Anita Saluja, MD
Melbourne Dermatologist

Mixing Fillers

I have had clients choose to use different fillers in the past and have experienced few problems. However, I prefer to use one brand of filler for each client because each filler behaves differently and this will help to meet your expectations based on previous injections.

Justin Harper, MD
Columbus Physician