Tummy Tuck scar solution?? Please Help. (photos)

hi i really need a real advise on my case?? i had a tuck tummy surgery done 10 years back after delivering my kids.when i initially had the consultation done with the dr he told me that the scar will NOT exceed 20 cm from the middle but i was shocked to see that he extended the scar another 16 cms from the sides (8 cm each side) i feel so desperate having to cover the scar everytime i go to the beach or be with my boyfriend.i wish with all the new technologies i can do something about this ?

Abdominoplasty Scar

I'm sorry to hear about your frustration. Based on this photo you have a very nice result. Sometimes it is necessary to extend incisions to improve contours and avoid dog ears. There are a number of treatments to help lighten scars including silicone sheeting, some laser therapies and microneedling. It is also very important to prevent sun exposure/tanning on a new scar because this can result in pigmentation.  I recommend that you talk with your Plastic Surgeon about options to help fade your scar.

All the best 

Solutions for Tummy Tuck Scars

Scars may widen or continue to be red and elevated. Excision and reclosure may help some scars. Other treatments are available as well. It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

Tummy tuck scar

Your scar looks typical of the procedure, and is the trade off for the (usually) dramatic improvement in the shape of the abdomen and skin quality.  You could consider certain laser treatments or micro-needling, but the improvements will likely be modest.

Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck scar

That incision look pretty standard, and unfortunately, the scar will not disappear. We do not have the technology to make scars become invisible.

Sometimes tattoos are a nice option too

Sometimes for ladies who like tattoos a pretty tattoo of flowers or something can be done over the tattoo to hide the scar very nicely.  Just another option....

TT Scars

The length of the scar is difficult to debate without preoperative pictures and the operative note. The longer the scar, the more tissue that can be excised.

The main trade off for all of the excess skin and fat that was removed with a tummy tuck is the scars. However, your scars are very reasonable for this surgery. At this point in time, I do not believe scar management with creams, silicone patches, steroid injections, laser treatments, or scar revision will improve the scars. Best wishes!

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck scar

I'm sorry to hear about your distress. Your result appears very nice. Scars are a trade off for the positive result. Unfortunately tummy tuck scars tend to be long due to the need to remove skin and make a flat appearance. 10 years out the scar is quite mature. Although options for helping it fade exist, it cannot be shortened. It can be revised to possibly make it thinner and lower, which can aid in the ease of hiding it in a bikini. We tend to see these things on ourselves much more so than others do (such as your boyfriend). 

Gary Vela, MD, FACS

Scar

The length of the incision cannot be shortened.  But, the incision may be able to be lowered now that you are 10 years out.  If it is the redness or height of the scar that bothers you, some lasers can help with this.  

Tyler C. Street, MD
Napa Plastic Surgeon