Will a neck lift help the crepey skin around my throat area?

Hi Will a neck lift help the crepey skin around my entire throat area? It really bothers me! laser made it worst a few years ago.

Advice re: will a necklift help my crepy neck skin?

Hi and thanks for your question. Unfortunately without a personal consultation or at the very least some photographs it's difficult to offer the advice you seek. Best to really arrange a face to face consultation with an accredited plastic surgeon. Good luck

London Plastic Surgeon

A combination neck and facelift is necessary to tighten crepey skin on the neck

As others have stated a neck lift alone will not significantly tightened your neck skin.  You will need a combination face and neck lift so that the extra skin can be removed and the neck skin tightened.

A well performed face and neck lift can create a a very nice tight neck when done by an expert plastic surgeon.

Please consult a board certified plastic surgeon who is an expert at facelift surgery.

For more information on neck and face lift please read the following link:

Crepey neck skin

As you've already learned, laser can change the surface as well as color of the skin, but in the neck, will usually only provide modest tightening.
The gold standard is face and or necklift which actually tighten the skin of the neck and lower face.  For those who are completely opposed to facelift surgery, radiofrequency is an up and coming technology that can give modest tightening but falls far short of the results of surgery.

Richard L. Zeff, MD
Portsmouth Plastic Surgeon

Necklift and crepy skin

Typically, a necklift is to tighten the neck muscles and remove excess skin. If you have actually wrinkled neck skin or irregularities in the skin itself, then a necklift will not help this condition. Unfortunately, the neck skin cannot be resurfaced like the face to remove crepiness and wrinkles. However, if you do have loose neck skin then a necklift is a good procedure.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift for in excess crepey neck skin

In our practice, a neck lift only addresses fat removal above and below the platysma muscle, and a platysma-plasty. A neck lift will not address excess skin in the neck.
 A lower face and neck lift will address all the above in the neck lift plus excess skin and tightening the jowls. For many examples, please see the link below

There may be some improvement on the throat area but indirectly from the tightening of the skin under the skin.

Hi Diva411,

I know the area which you are referring to.  In general, I think this is caused by a loss of fat directly under the skin of the neck.  This small amount of fat loss makes the skin of the neck thinner than it was in youth, and in certain positions the neck skin on the throat and decolletage area can appear quite crepey.  The worst positions are when the chin is down and the shoulders are pushed together.  This causes the skin in the front of the neck to not be on any "tension."  This crepiness is often times not seen on before and after photos, and only in certain non-standard positions.  Standard photographs in good posture and looking straight will not show the crepiness you are referring to.

I have seen many patients who have had non-surgical skin tightening treatments to the front of the neck (throat) area, and they report that it looks great for about 2 weeks after the initial treatment due to the swelling from the treatment, only to look even worse after the swelling is gone.  I take their comments with a grain of salt, since they are getting the treatment to this area of the neck, there must have been some problem for them to agree to the treatment.  I suspect the non-surgical skin tightening treatments, which are ultrasound, infrared, or radiofrequency based, are melting the thin layer of fat directly under the skin (i.e. subcutaneous fat.)  This is why it actually looks great when there is swelling.  The swelling makes the subcutaneous layer of fat thicker from swelling, but later it may have inadvertently melted some fat which in turn makes the subcutaneous fat even thinner than it was prior to the non-surgical skin tightening treatments.  With an even thinner fat layer, this will make the skin even crepier than it was before the treatment.

These treatments are designed to tighten the skin, by making the surface skin temperature reach 39.5-41.5 degrees Celsius, then the deeper tissues will heat up to 50-55 degrees Celsius.  The hope is the the skin tightening is greater than the fat loss, but if the skin tightening is very minimal to nothing, and the heating of the fat to 50-55 degrees actually causes more fat loss than skin tightening, it could very well, make the skin look even crepier after the treatments. 

Some doctors who don't have the non-surgical skin tightening devices, can improvise with lasers to heat the skin to the requisite 39.5-41.5 degree Celsius mark and try to tighten the skin in a similar manner.

I have also some patients who come from more tropical environments with severe crepiness and fat loss of the neck skin in the throat area.  The amount of sun exposure in the tropics directly on the skin, I suspect can heat their skin up to the 39.5-41.5 degree Celsius temperature.  This could be easily determined, by bringing a laser temperature thermometer to the beach and test the skin surface temperature.  I suspect it does reach this temperature, and cause the fat underneath the skin to become damaged and thin out.  This may be why men and women who are very tan are also the same people with very crepey neck, decolletage, arm,  and leg skin.

In general, after a face and necklift the main improvement is in the sagging of the neck/chin profile and jawline.  In our before and after photos, the crepiness may appear improved, but if your ask these same patients to lower their chin and push their shoulders together, the crepiness will become apparent.

No matter how tight I make the face and necklift, the crepiness is still there, once they position themselves so that their skin is not on any tension.  I suspect the only way to truly improve the skin is to make the skin in these areas thicker.  A similar area is the skin on the back of the hands.  This area has been treated with fillers and fat grafting to make the skin there thicker and it helps to hide the veins and tendons on the back of the hand.  It most likely also helps with the crepiness of the skin on the back of the hand.

The aging process is more complex than most people and plastic surgeons realize.  Although many of our results do show a significant improvement in sagging of the neck and jawline, crepiness of the lower neck is still an issue.  Some crepiness of the lower eyelid skin can be improved with fat or fillers.  Perhaps this is the direction where we are headed.  The main issue is that the skin of the neck is very thin and a large area.  Technically it would be difficult to create a perfectly smooth 1-2 mm layer of thickening of the neck skin across the entire front of the neck.  I have done this for a smaller area of 3 by 5 cm for a small area of crepiness along a horizontal neck wrinkle, which improved the crepiness of this rectangular area.  

Very good question, but difficult problem to solve.  Hope this insight helps.

Good luck on your plastic surgery journey.

Dr. Yang

P.S. There is a new feature on Realself, which is the "Follow" button. It is similar to the "Like" button on Facebook. If you like my response or any of the doctor responses while you research on Realself, you should "Follow" them. You will get email updates, when the doctors you follow post any new answers to questions, post new photos, or have any new reviews.

George Yang, MD

Face Lift for Crepey Neck Skin

What is needed t correct crepey skin around the neck depends on the cause. If the problem is due to loose skin from gravity. then some type of lift is necessary to correct it. Although neck lifts can do this, the problem is almost always caused by gravity and the face is also involved. I, therefore, prefer a facelift to correct the neck as it corrects not only the neck but the face. If the problem is due to sun damage and not loose skin, then skin rejuvenation will work. Your lack of success with a laser makes this less likely. 

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Will a neck lift help the crepey skin in my neck?

This is a difficult question to answer without pictures. A neck lift is very effective at addressing sagging in the neck caused by laxity of the platysma muscle under the skin. Tightening this muscle will create a much more defined chin and neck. If the skin is crepey due to severe sun damage, it is very difficult to get a long lasting result from a neck lift. Initially, the neck will look more defined but, as the swelling resolves, the skin starts to sag because it lacks elasticity. Follow up with an experienced facial plastic surgeon who can give you options.

Todd C. Miller, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Without knowing what you look like there is absolutely no way anyone on this panel could tell you what a neck lift may or may not do for you.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Neck Lift will Change the Position of the Skin but will not Change the Quality of Skin

A neck lift is a surgical procedure to:

1)  Lift sagging skin
2)  Remove excess skin
3)  Remove excess fat
4)  Tighten the Muscles of the neck

If these are your goals then a neck lift is a great option for you.  A neck lift does NOT change the quality of the skin.  The the "crepiness" is very fine lines and wrinkles of the neck skin, a neck lift is not the best option.