How long does the swelling and jiggling last after a Kybella treatment? (Photo)

I had the Kybella injection 3 days ago and I am still swollen and now my neck jiggles. I was told by my doctor that this is normal and I did not have that much fat to begin with. I received 5.8 a total of 28 injections. I am very concerned because I am having an engagement party on Feb 7th. Will this every get better.

Kybella

Thanks for your question and photo. Swelling is common after the Kybella treatment. It should subside within a week of treatment. Continue to ice the area and follow your provider's instructions.

Kybella and side effects

Swelling from Kybella is a typical and expected side effect that can last up to a week.  You can also have some nodules and numbness for several weeks.  Your physician should have educated you about potential side effects. If you use ice, that might receive some of the swelling. Kybella is a fabulous product and you will be thrilled that you did this!  Best, Dr. Green

Kybella & Post Treatment Swelling

Although every patient heals at her own rate, it should get better in the next week or two. If it does not then contact your surgeon, but post op swelling is totally normal.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Kybella

Thank you for your question. Kybella is injected as a solution below the skin surface into the fatty tissues. It acts by destroying fat cells in the area injected. The lysed fat cell contents create an inflammatory reaction, resulting in skin contraction and tightening (in addition to reduction of fat). There is some swelling after the treatment and is directly related to the amount of fat present and the amount of kybella injected. In other words, if you have a large amount of fat under your chin, you would require a greater amount of kybella to treat the area effectively, and the greater the subsequent inflammatory response with swelling. A compression garment worn for a few days should help with the post-procedure swelling. If you received 5.8mL of Kybella, this can certainly result in swelling underneath your chin. If you have any concerns, however, I recommend that you see your provider or someone trained in Kybella injections. Prior to any intervention, a proper physical exam is necessary.I hope this information helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Corey S. Maas, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

How long does the swelling and jiggling last after a Kybella treatment?

Hello cind111962,

Most of the swelling and jiggling will be gone in the first week.  Some will likely remain for about two weeks but it is almost back to your baseline at one week.  To get the full result you will likely need at least 1 more and up to 3 more treatments.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella / Liposuction/ Radio frequency/ Cool Sculpting / CoolMini / Neck Laxity / Botox / Double Chin Treatmentt

I appreciate your question.It will take a few weeks for the swelling to subside.  I would recommend that you apply cold compresses for 10 minutes off and on a few times a day to the affected area.  Also, discuss with your Injecting MD if they recommend that you take arnica and/or ibuprofen. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz

Kybella-neck swelling

It is normal for the swelling & bruising (and firmness) to be there for 2-4 weeks. Ice packs (20 min on/off) for the first 24-48 hours helps. All your side effects will improve over time. The get the full result from Kybella, it can take 2-4 sessions. All the best, Anita Gill MD
@gillderm

Anita Arora Gill, MD
The Woodlands Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling after Kybella

I tell my patients to expect swelling and jiggling for 2-4 weeks.  Numbness lasts about 6 weeks.  And then there are lumps and bumps for up to 8 weeks as well.  Swelling does not fully resolve for a few months so i don't re-inject for a few months.

My best,
Dr. Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

It is not unusual to be swollen from Kybella the first 2-3 weeks after injections. You can try to speed up the process by applaing cold compresses for 10-15 minutes 5-6 times a day.

Hope this helps,
Dr. Gus Diaz

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Kybella

Usually the major swelling is gone by 1 week.  You will continue to see results for the first month, or even longer for some patients.  The amount of product you state you had is on the higher side for a single treatment.  Therefore, I would expect more swelling initially than on a patient that had 20 or less injection sites.  Gentle cold compresses on and off for the first several days might also help relive some of the swelling.  Best of luck!