Will the CoolSculpting "Cool Mini" applicator be used off-label for the lower jaw, cheek & jowl area?

When the Coolsculpting "Cool Mini" applicator is released later this year, will an off-label use be to reduce unwanted fat around the lower jaw, cheek & jowl area? It seems like this would be a less risky alternative to micro liposuction that has potential side effects such as dents and nerve damage....

CoolSculpting Mini Applicator is FDA Cleared

The FDA recently cleared the CoolSculpting Mini Applicator for use in submental area.  The applicator was cleared for specific use following the protocol used in the studies.  As physicians gain experience with the applicator, off-label use will increase.  I would recommend you find an experienced CoolSculpting physician that is familiar with the anatomy of the neck and jowls who also has experience with surgically treating the areas.  

The product should be available at the end of October 2015.  

Trey Aquadro, M.D.
Auburn, AL

Coolsculpting Mini Produces Improvement in Your Double Chin That Lasts

Hello and thank-you for your question and photos.

We offer the Cool mini as a non-surgical alternative to liposuction for the right candidate. For optimal results, 2 treatments are generally required. The treatments are separated by 4-6 weeks. If there is mild to moderate skin laxity, combining the treatment with Ultherapy is an option. We also offer Kybella and often use the 3 technologies to develop customized surgical alternative to surgical options. Coosculptin can not be used in the cheek or jowls. Although I would anticipate that you will have a significant improvement in you profile with Coolsculpting Mini, you may consider a neck lift for optimal improvement. I would visit with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who offers all these options to discuss what is best for you. Best regards,Andrew Lyos MD, FACS

Andrew T. Lyos, MD, FACS

Cool mini off label uses

Thank you for your question.  The Cool-mini applicator is great for small areas of pinch able fat such as the double chin region (where it is FDA indicated) or regions like the armpit/bra fat, back rolls etc..
A physical exam would be needed to discuss the suitability of this as option for you in more detail.

Coolsculpting

I appreciate your question.
A submental device will be out later this year

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

CoolSculpting "Cool Mini"

The CoolSculpting “Cool Mini” applicator is not yet on the market and has not been tested for use in the lower jaw, cheek, and jowls. However, there are other body contouring procedures that have proven safe and effective for these areas.

Burton M. Sundin, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting "Cool Mini"

The CoolSculpting “Cool Mini” applicator has not yet been introduced, so it is difficult to predict how it will be used.

Reps B. Sundin, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting for Neck

Coolsculpting is working on a mini-adaptor for the submental area of the face - the fat under the neck.  This piece should address the areas that bother you. The applicator cannot fit into the other areas that you described.  Kybella can be used in connection with these areas. In addition, Thermage is fabulous at tightening the skin under the neck, particularly the lower jaw, cheeks, and jowl area.

Will "Cool Mini" be used off label for lower jaw, cheek and jowl area?

Thank you for your question. It is unlikely the CoolSculpting submentum treatment will be used for the cheek area. You may want to look into other treatment options. Perhaps consider a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who is currently using CoolSculpting and can provide all considerable avenues. 

Sincerely yours, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Better options

I have some patients that cannot wait for the neck Coolsculpting applicator.  However, you want to go to a plastic surgeon who can tell you what is your best option: facelift, fillers, CS, Kybella, or liposuction.  They are all great tools with regard to treating this area but only a board certified plastic surgeon can offer all of the options and let you know what will work best for you. 

I have the Coolmini too! Just got it in today. Very excited to get started using it on the neck, knee and elbow fat!
My best,
Sheila Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Coolsculpting for off label areas including face, jawline, chin

I wouldn't suggest treating these areas, as there is potential to cause damage to nerves/vessles and get uneven results.  Kybella is FDA approved for the submental (chin) area and will be out in the near future to certain providers (including me) who are trained and understand neck anatomy.  Honestly, liposuction/contouring of this area gives amazing results wiht only a few days downtime.  That is the best treatment combined with botox and thermage/ultherapy/venus legacy to get the best jawline/neck if you are a good candidate.  Only go to an expert to treat this area.  Best, Dr. Emer.