Tummy Tuck - having Anesthesia done by CRNA (certified registered nurse anesthesiologist) versus anesthesiologist?

When having a Tummy Tuck Is it okay to have general anesthesia done by a CRNA (certified registered nurse anesthesiologist) versus an anesthesiologist? I have read that anesthesia should be done by a board certified anesthesiologist.

Ummy Tuck - having Anesthesia done by CRNA (certified registered nurse anesthesiologist) versus anesthesiologist?

Thank you for your question.  I have used both CRNAs and MDs in my surgical center.  Discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  Choose whoever your surgeon feels comfortable working with.  Best Wishes

What are the Best brands for medical grade compression garment for Tummy Tuck?

Hi. You asked a similar question when you asked which surgeon to choose. My preference is for an MD certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology. WE have been working together for years. There are, howver, very competent CRNAs. The important issue whther or not they have plenty of experience in working with cosmetic surgery outpatinet procedures. Anesthesiologists and CRNAs willive very different anesthesa if it's an in hospital patient because they don't have to worry about having the patinet recover quickly enough to go home within the 1- 1.5 hrs. Good luck. Dr. PG

Anesthesia for tummy tuck

This is fine.We have some very well qualified nurse anesthesia personal and I woul;d let them put me to sleep anytime.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck - having Anesthesia done by CRNA versus anesthesiologist?

I use the same MD anesthesiologists for the reason that handling something more complex may be required and you want to have everything and everyone at the ready.

Tummy Tuck anesthesia choices

First, the CRNA- is a nurse who provides anesthesia. An anesthesiologist is an M.D. who can provide the anesthesia service himself/herself or supervise the CRNA. In Florida, the surgeon is permitted to supervise the CRNA in the office surgery setting. I have done both, and with good experience and training either way can be safe.

Anesthesia done by a CRNA vs an anesthesiologist- during a tummy tuck

It differs depending on states, but a CRNA usually has a doctor that they have to report to during a case. It can be either the operating surgeon or an anesthesiologist.  It is my personal belief that CRNA's should be reporting to a board certified anesthesiologist during a procedure and not the operating surgeon. This allows your board certified plastic surgeon to perform the tummy tuck and the board certified anesthesiologist and the CRNA to manage the patient's sedation.  CRNA's can be great as long as they are supervised by the appropriate doctor.

Ryan Hoffman, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

I get this question frequently. The bottom line is you are the patient and you should have your choice, at least I offer that option in my practice. On the other hand, the surgeon might have a working long term relationship with a CRNA > MD anesthesiologist. And you might desire your chosen surgeon to be as comfortable for your surgery as possible?? Best to have in person discussion with your chosen surgeon.  

You ask a very good question and I think one that at times inspires its fair share of debates.  I can happily offer you my opinion on this matter.

A CRNA is a highly trained clinician who must complete a multi-year training program that includes many (NOT ALL) of the same courses that medical students take during medical school.  CRNA students then enter an 18+ month "residency" of sorts where they are actively running surgical cases in the operating room, performing the majority of the same tasks as an anesthesiologist such as intubation, monitoring vital signs, fluid administration, and the administration of inhaled anesthetic.  They are evaluated and must pass classroom and clinical exams prior to graduation.  They take their jobs very seriously and perform their jobs safely and admirably.

However, it is important to realize that in the vast majority of US states (I am not sure about Florida), CRNAs MUST practice under the supervision of an anesthesiologist who is physically in the hospital at all times and in the operating room with them at the most important times (you going to sleep and you waking up).  The anesthesiologist is immediately available at all times, and many times they stay in the room with the CRNA during the entire surgery.  The anesthesiologist is responsible for their actions, their decisions during the surgery, and most importantly -- YOU and your well-being.

So you see, it is unlikely that you will need to be concerned that you will only be treated by a CRNA because by definition they are always supervised by an anesthesiologist.  I have had CRNAs treat my patients for years now and I can confidently say they have always been more than capable to handle even the most difficult surgeries.  Couple that with the knowledge that an anesthesiologist (an M.D. or D.O.) is also watching over you and you have a very safe surgery indeed.  Think of it as 2 sets of eyes!

Good luck with your tummy tuck, and best wishes!