I want to know if a deviated septum can be repaired along with a facelift. Would insurance cover the cost of the repair?

I am interested in some form of face lift mostly for sagging cheeks. The left side of my face sags a lot more than the right because of a deviated septum that I have had since early childhood. This has caused me to pull and stretch the area while I sleep in order to breathe. . Is it possible to have that corrected at the same time as a lift?

Including Nose Surgery With Facelift Is OK

This is a good question, including asking about insurance coverage. Whether your functional rhinoplasty — which is nose surgery to correct a breathing issue — is paid for by your health insurance company depends on your specific policy. It is possible. Many patients combine a facelift or other facial rejuvenation surgery such as rhinoplasty to avoid having to recover more than once. It is actually pretty common at my practice to combine the procedures, and it is likely a fine approach in your case. Be sure to talk with a surgeon who has experience combining these procedures.

Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Septum and facelift

Yes it an and we have done many, many times

Yes to the insurance issue if it fits the criteria established by your insurance company

Edwin F. Williams, III, MD
Latham Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can a septoplasty and facelift be done at the same time?

Thank you for a great question and for sharing your experience.  The short answer is the procedures can be potentially performed at the same surgical setting.  While insurance may cover the septoplasty depending on your carrier, it would not cover any sagging in the face which is unlikely to be directly related to your breathing issues.  I hope you find this helpful.

Consult with a Board Certified Fellowship Trained Facial Plastic Surgery Specialist.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Combining procedures

Combining procedures is quite common, however be prepared for a longer anesthesia time. The positive is you get done in one day, the negative is longer operative time. The insurance can be billed separately for the deviated septum-no issues there. Hope this helps! Dr. Miguel

George S. Miguel, DO
Troy Facial Plastic Surgeon

If a deviated septum can be repaired along with a facelift

A septal rhinoplasty can be performed in some cases at the same time as a facelift. It is possible in some instances for insurance to cover the septoplasty portion of the procedure if there is breathing passage compromise but coverage can vary.

Combined procedures

Thank you for the question and the simple answer is YES if you are in good health.  so see some experts in your area and find out what can be done.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Can a deviated septum repair be performed at the same time as a facelift

I routinely perform facelift and rhinoplasty/deviated septum repair in the same setting.My colleagues and I recently published an article documenting the safety of multiple procedures in the same surgical setting.Many patients prefer to have procedures such as these done simultaneously, as they can save on both anesthesia and recovery time.You will be need to be evaluated by a surgeon to determine whether your septoplasty is medically necessary, and a claim will need to be submitted to your insurance.  Good luck with your procedure!  I hope you have a great outcome!

Achih Chen, MD, FACS
Evans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift and breathing problems

It is certainly possible to do both of these procedures at the same time.  Your breathing problem might be more than a deviated septum.  There are many causes and be sure your surgeon has the training and skill to address all the possible problems.  I would get an examination by an ENT surgeon that actually does ENT and not facial plastic surgery.

Barry N. Silberg, MD, FACS
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

I want to know if a deviated septum can be repaired along with a facelift.

Hi, I have performed facelifts and Septoplasties for over 30 years.  The septoplasty is a short procedure that can be done in combination with a facelift.  If you have "jowls" this is sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last). The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
Hope this helps.

Hello Chrisaldrich,

It would be fine to perform a septoplasty and facelift at the same time.  If you have proper documentation showing a deviated septum, often involving photos to confirm the same, then your insurance would most likely cover that part of the procedure.  Of course, this is entirely up to your insurance.  Proceeding with the facelift at the same time would help to defer some of your costs from the OR, anesthesia, and facility fees.  It would also allow everything to be healing at the same time so you only have the one down time. 

I would recommend you consult with a facial plastic surgeon to discuss your options and go over the expectations. 

I hope this helps and good luck. 

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon