How long until I can go back to my normal practice routine of tumbling and stunting?

I am a senior in high school and am getting my breast augmentation over spring break. Most likely on the 14th of March. I have cheer tryouts the 7th of May. I also need practice time between that time.

Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to returning to specific activities. He/she will know exactly what was done, how you are progressing, and exactly what type of activities you are returning to.

Generally speaking, it will be important for you to return to activities in a very gradual/cautious fashion. "Listen to your body" as you do so. Having said that, most patients are able to drive approximately one week after surgery, engage in lower body exercises two weeks after surgery, lift more than 10 pounds 4 to 6 weeks after surgery, and run 4 to 6 weeks after surgery as well. Again, your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to relevant advice.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Post breast augmentation activity

To be safe I would refrain from vigorous exercise for 6 weeks.  Milder exercise can resume in the first several weeks.  But I would defer to your plastic surgeon and customize your restrictions according to how you heal

Post breast augmentation activity

Working out after Breast Implants

You should plan to take 3 weeks off from cardio training and 6 weeks off from tumbling and stunting to heal properly.  Good luck!

Working out after Breast Implants

Restriction after breast augmentation

Postoperative instructions and restrictions will vary from surgeon to surgeon and even patient to patient.  I would advise you to follow the guidance of your chosen surgeon.  I will typically have patients wait until AT LEAST 6 weeks and sometimes as many as 8 weeks after surgery before engaging in rigorous activity such as that which you describe. 

Charles Galanis, MD

Restriction after breast augmentation

Charles Galanis, MD

Returning to tumbling after breast augmentation

Thank you so much for your question. This is something you should definitely discuss with your surgeon. Giving yourself 6 weeks to fully heal before resuming vigorous activity such as tumbling puts you at one week before tryouts which doesn't give you much practice time. Talk to your surgeon about your timeline. 

Normal activity and exercise can be resumed per the direction of you surgeon.

In general, most individuals are able to return to work after one week, while strenuous exercise should be avoided for about a month, maybe 6 weeks. It really depends on your exact healing and when your surgeon determines that you are ready to return to your tumbling and stunting.

Good luck, please let us know how it goes.

- Dr. Constantino Mendieta

- Dr. Constantino Mendieta

Thanks for the question. In my practice we would not schedule the surgery so close to when you have to resume your activities. We would not want you starting activities that extensive for at least 6 weeks. That's when you could start the practicing. 

Time to tumble

In general I ask you wait at least 4-6 weeks before doing any serious physical activity, you need time for your body and incisions to heal before resuming cheering.  Good luck!

Time to tumble

Recovery is at least a month

Thanks for your question. As a father of cheerleaders I appreciate your concern regarding the recovery. I would tell you that it would be at least a month before I would release you to the level of activity a cheerleader would need. My concern would be how long it would take your body to get used to your implants and how long before you can tumble and stunt at the level you need. It might be better to postpone until after your tryouts. Your surgeon will be able to go through their protocol with you. Best of Luck!

Recovery is at least a month

Thank you for the question. With a submuscular augmentation, which is the correct position for most women, I recommend at least a month for recovery. Then my patients are just beginning to do upper body workouts, nothing very strenuous. My concern for you is that you may love your new look, but you will not be able to prepare adequately for your cheer tryouts. Good luck!