Droopy Lower Eyelid 6 Weeks After Blepharoplasty & Facelift!

It has been 6 weeks since my Blepharoplasty & facelift (including my cheeks), & In spite of continuous massaging in an upward direction followed by cold compresses, I do not see any improvement in my droopy lower eyelid.  The eye looks twice as large as the other & gives the impression of staring in a different direction.  Needless to say, this has been causing an extreme emotional reaction in me; fearing that my decision to have this surgery has resulted in a deformity. Please give me your opinion on the possibility of this problem resolving itself, and what might need to be done should it not.  I am attaching a photo & anxiously await your reply.   Many Thanks.

Lower Eyelid Problem after Facelift and Eyelid Surgery

The issue you have is called ectropion (ek-tro-pee-on). This is an outward turning of the lower eyelid.  Massaging the eyelid over 3 months can help if the problem is related to internal scarring.  If the problem is because of looseness of the lower eyelid then the eyelid needs to be tightened.  During the pre op examination the looseness of the eyelid should be tested so that techniques can be employed during surgery to tighten the lid and minimize this issue. 

Dr. ES

Ectropion

It looks like you may have an ectropion.  It is best to follow closely with your surgeon. Some recommend massage and eye lubrication.  Some may consider canthopexy/canthoplasty among other options.  Good luck.

Avoiding ectropion after lower lid blepharoplasty

Ectropion after lower lid blepharoplasty needs to be treated aggressively if it occurs but is best avoided by a careful canthopexy or canthoplasty.  Your ectropion is sever at this point and I would consider a temporary Frost suture to protect your eyelid.  You will likely need a revision canthoplasty in the future, but this would not be the time to attempt this.  I would wait at least three months if your symptoms can be controlled in the meantime with more conservative measures.

Concerns after eyelid surgery

The immediate issue is protecting the health of your eye. You must report any changes in vision or a painful feeling of sand in your eye to your surgeon or an opthalmologist immediately. Apply lacrilube ointment frequently, start taping your eye closed at bedtime and tape the lower lid up at all times. Your surgeon might want to consider a steroid injection into the lower eyelid tissue. Keep calm and see your surgeon on a frequent basis. It is possible that this will improve with time, or you may need to have a revision with grafting to replace tissue.

Edmund Fisher, MD
Bakersfield Facial Plastic Surgeon

Droopy lower eyelid 6 weeks after blepharoplasty and facelift

Hello, I have reviewed your photos and I am very sorry about this. You need to start taping your eye shut at night and using lacrilube to prevent dry eye. Please feel free to contact my office. Good luck to you.

David Alessi, MD

Droopy Lower Lid after Bleparoplasty

Your pictures show that you have ectropion of the lid.  this is often temporary after blepharoplasty and will resolve with return of lid muscle function.  This can take 3 to 4 months to resolve.  In the meantime, treatment should include lubricating eye drops and ointment at night to keep the eye from drying out, massage, and temporary taping of the lid to elevate it.  Close follow-up with your plastic surgeon and/or opthalmologist is crucial.  If the ectropion doesn't resolve, corrective surgery to elevate and tighten the lid may be necessary.